Wisconsin Singers offer alcohol-free weekend alternative

In finding non-alcoholic alternative activities for students, musical events have come to the forefront. Music fans have the opportunity to give their livers a rest and see the Wisconsin Singers perform a Broadway-style review this weekend with their 34th Annual on Campus Invitational Concert.

“This year’s concert is a tribute to award-winning music which spans a 40-year period,” Wisconsin Singers director and producer Robin Whitty said. “It has something new and old. Something for the kids and for the grandmas.”

The annual concert is the only time the singers perform on campus. The two shows are fundraisers for the group, which is financially independent from UW-Madison.

“It is a unique performing experience; this is the only university which has a singing, acting, dancing troupe of this kind,” Wisconsin Singers dance captain Megan Whitty said.

The group has 28 full-time students performing in the group, including 16 singer-dancers, nine band members and three technicians.

Professional choreographers choreograph the shows, and the group holds auditions every May for the next year. Tryouts are extremely competitive.

The singers’ academic pursuits range from music to criminal justice, and everything in between. This year’s troupe consists of only three music majors.

Students said they earn credit for participation and get chances to earn scholarships dollars.

They also meet a great deal of people while performing for over 50,000 annually.

“It is a very valuable performing experience,” Megan Whitty said, “but more so on a public-relations level.”

The group performs for communities around the country, doing shows for grade schools, high schools, business openings and many others. The group does an average of 50 shows every year. The group’s profits are distributed to hosting communities to help their music programs.

“All the profits go to support the community performed in,” Robin Whitty said.

However, group members said they sometimes feel misunderstood.

“Our name says singer and they assume a choir standing on risers smiling at the audience,” Megan Whitty said.

Instead, the Wisconsin Singers put on a high-energy show.

“It is entertainment you won’t see anywhere else,” Megan Whitty said.