Theater creates political ‘fires’

“No censorship. No restrictions. No limits.”

This is the message Madison’s Broom Street Theater sends to their audiences with their entertaining yet at times controversial performances. Case in point: “the birds that are your hands: how to start a fire under siege,” Directed and written by Sol Kelley-Jones, explores political resistance from the perspective of two sets of bordering countries, like Israel/Palestine or Mexico/U.S.

The Broom Street Theater’s concept involves interactive theater found in a space about the size of a garage (you may miss it if you’re not looking out for the sign). With a length of about two-and-a-half-hours, the actors display the trials and tribulations of life from the perspective of citizens of Palestine and Mexico. Audience members are forced to be up close and personal while soldiers scream at them as if they were trying to cross the border. Nothing but pathos is elicited from the audience as they watch the stories of lost opportunities.

Things audience members may or may not like can be summed up in two main things: length and political perspectives. The play is incredibly long, and one must applaud the unpaid actors who give outstanding performances. However, after only an hour-and-a-half it became an issue of enough is enough.

Note Broom Street’s website does warn viewers that performances are in-your-face, so considered yourself warned. It proudly boasts the statement of “going where other theaters fear to tread,” and in “birds,” they cover what seemed to be every single political issue known to mankind from an extreme left-wing perspective.

The play is extremely biased and yes, it most certainly does cover controversial issues like religion and faults of the military. As extensively as they covered these political topics, there wasn’t a trace of the “opposing” side’s perspective. It was like only half of the story was being told, and from the grapevine at that.

“birds” is definitely one of those plays that makes audience members contribute their opinions whether in agreement or not. This may be why you can find a very diverse crowd at these weekend performances, ranging from youth to the elderly, which was slightly surprising.

The actors do an amazing job with their roles and are obviously passionate about the subjects they’re reflecting, and the concept of experimental theater is definitely a unique experience. However, for those with more conservative views, you may want to skip this one unless you are willing to keep an open mind.

“the birds that are your hands: how to start a fire under siege” is at the Broom Street Theater now through April 19. Tickets are $9 for Friday and Saturday, and $6 for the Sunday matinee.