Pop singer Anastacia undergoes cancer surgery

Los Angeles (REUTERS) — Pop singer Anastacia recently underwent breast cancer and reconstructive surgery, and subsequent tests showed early detection of the tumor had saved her life, her surgeon said Monday.

The recording artist, 29, was diagnosed with breast cancer in January. “Although what Anastacia has is serious, she is very lucky,” Dr. Alexander Swistel said in a statement issued by her publicist. “Due to the aggressive nature of her cancer, she was a month away from a more immediate life-threatening condition. However, her prognosis is good, as are her spirits, which figures into any patient’s successful recovery.”

The performer, who lives in New York City, underwent seven hours of surgery Feb. 10 to remove the cancer and reconstruct her breast. She plans to begin a six-week course of radiation therapy in the coming weeks.

Born Anastacia Lyn Newkirk, the Chicago native also suffers from Crohn’s disease, a chronic intestinal illness she was diagnosed with at age 13.

In a message to her fans Monday, Anastacia said her ordeal had taught her the importance of early detection in fighting breast cancer, and she urged other women to have mammograms.

Starting out as a dancer on “Club MTV” and in music videos of other artists, Anastacia landed a recording contract with Sony Music’s Epic Records label after she was a finalist on the MTV talent contest show “The Cut” in 1999. Her debut album, “Not That Kind,” was released in 2000 and became an international hit. More recently, she appeared on the soundtrack to the Oscar-nominated musical “Chicago,” singing “Love is a Crime.”