Men’s Hockey: Badgers shutout by Gophers in weekend series

Badgers outscored 13-0 by Gophers
Daniel Yun

Minneapolis, MN. — The University of Wisconsin Badgers men’s hockey team (9-22-3, 6-17-1-1 Big Ten) has wrapped up regular season play with a lopsided series against the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers (23-11, 18-6) that did not go their way. The two-game set at 3M Arena saw the Badgers get outscored 13-0 by their Border Battle foes, allowing the Gophers to clinch the regular season conference title.

In the first game, former Gopher Jared Moe got the start in net for Wisconsin. Minnesota came out strong, throwing nine shots at Moe and scoring one goal. Meanwhile, the Badgers only managed three shots on net, ending the period down 1-0.

During the second period of play, Wisconsin was able to find their footing and test Gopher goalie Justin Close, who stood tall with 12 saves in the middle frame. The Badgers were able to hold off Minnesota until the final minute of the period when Jaxon Nelson put the puck past Moe to double the lead for the home team.

Women’s Hockey: Badgers start playoffs strong, sweep Bemidji State

In the third period, junior forward Ben Meyers put together a natural hat trick, scoring three straight goals and establishing a five-goal lead for Minnesota, effectively wrapping up the game. The Badgers were outshot 44-20 in the game and provided no offensive support for Moe in the net.

Wisconsin looked to bounce back in Saturday’s game but saw tough results against the conference’s best team. Coach Tony Granato gave Cameron Rowe the start in net, and he was peppered by the Gophers offense all game long. The Badgers outshot Minnesota 12-10 in the first period but found themselves down 2-0 at the first intermission. 

The offensive chances for the Badgers were rare in the second period, recording only four shots on net. On the other side of play, they were able to tame the Gophers offense until Bryce Brodzinski padded the lead with six minutes left in the second period.

Women’s Basketball: UW triumphs in final regular season game, completes season sweep of Purdue

Going into the final period of regulation, the Badgers were down 3-0 and had been outshot only 19-16. By the end of the game, the score was 8-0, and the Gophers were celebrating a Big Ten Conference regular season title.

This series wrapped up a tough regular season for Wisconsin, winning only six conference games.  Though this was the case, they will have a chance to make some noise in the conference tournament where they will be matched up against the Notre Dame Fighting Irish in the first round of play March 4 through March 6.