Men’s Basketball: Look at Wisconsin’s 2020 recruiting class

Ranked No. 20 nationally, No. 3 in Big Ten, Wisconsin set to perform at high level in Big Ten for years to come
Justin Mielke

The University of Wisconsin basketball program has much to be optimistic about for the 2020-21 season with a very impressive recruiting class arriving in the fall.

Led by four-star power forward Ben Carlson, combo-guard Johnny Davis and his twin brother Jordan Davis, the Badgers’ recruiting class is ranked No. 20 nationally and No. 3 in the Big Ten, which is far better than the program has achieved in past seasons.

Carlson is a lengthy power forward from Saint Paul, Minnesota who holds a 96.5/100 rating on 247 Sports. Carlson is a talented and athletic combo big man but lacks explosiveness.

Based on Carlson’s athletic frame, footwork and ability to shoot the three efficiently, it is not hard to imagine Carlson becoming a stretch four during his time with the Badgers. Badger fans should be very excited to see him on the court at the Kohl Center in the future.

Men’s Basketball: Badgers continue to roll at home, beat The Ohio State

Head Coach Greg Gard and his staff were also able to haul in Johnny Davis, Wisconsin’s second-best player according to 247 Sports.

Hailing the same high school as former Badger guard Kobe King, La Crosse Central, Davis is a phenomenal athlete who not only is able to drive to the basket but has the ability to efficiently score with his jump shot as well.

Davis’ explosive vertical and emphatic dunks should bring the Badger fans in the Kohl Center to their feet on a regular basis.

Davis’ twin brother Jordan is a small forward who is ranked No. 6 in Wisconsin, and the Badgers hope Jordan will be able to serve as a wing thrasher in the future. Though he lacks outside shooting, he is able to make up for it in his strong build and athleticism. Defensively, Jordan Davis is a menace as a rebounder and is able to lockdown guards and small forwards efficiently.

Johnny and Jordan Davis should bring excitement to the fans at the Kohl Center and give Gard and his staff great tools to work with for years to come.

Men’s Basketball: Badgers disappoint in loss to Minnesota, prepare for The Ohio State

Along with the Davis brothers and Carlson, Wisconsin received a commitment from the 6-foot-9-inch, 210-pound center, Steven Crowl. Crowl, a Minnesota native, will need to add some bulk if he wants to stay competitive down low during the grueling Big Ten season.

Crowl will have the opportunity to be the starting center when Nate Reuvers departs following next season. Crafty in the paint, Crowl will also bring solid defense and above-average 3-point shooting (nearly 40% in his junior season) to the Badgers next season.

This recruiting class boasts size, athleticism, shooting and defense — everything Coach Gard and the Badgers need. Ultimately, this recruiting class is something to look forward to for years to come in Badger basketball.