Women’s Basketball: OT loss to No. 18 Indiana, victory over Illinois nets Badgers .500 record in road trip

Badgers blew double digit lead in final seconds of ranked road matchup vs Indiana
Justin Mielke

The University of Wisconsin’s women’s basketball team (11-11, 3-8 Big Ten) rounded out the tough month of January with a similarly brutal loss to No. 18 Indiana Hoosiers (17-5, 7-3). The Badgers fell 65–75 in overtime after opening a comfortable lead early in the contest.

Just two days later, they managed to bounce back and defeat the Fighting Illini in relatively convincing fashion, earning the Badgers their second conference win in the year and bringing their record back to .500.

Women’s Basketball: Badgers collapse late, fall to Nebraska at home

Wisconsin came to play during their first game Thursday, dominating the Hoosiers in the early going by converting transition opportunities awarded to them from a stifling, intense first quarter defensive performance. 

The Badgers held Indiana to just 10 points in the first quarter and cruised to a 22–10 advantage. Wisconsin shot 43% from the field for the game but opened the night hitting seven of their first nine to pull away.

The Badgers managed to maintain their twelve point lead as the first half came to an end, riding their intense defensive pressure all the way through the third quarter. Indiana soon turned the tide though, mounting a dangerous run in the early phases of the final period to shrink Wisconsin’s lead to a manageable 10 points.

Women’s Basketball: Badgers snap losing streak, win in Minnesota

This lead dwindled throughout the fourth quarter before the Badgers ultimately gave up a game-tying three in the closing seconds of the contest. 

After blowing a double-digit fourth quarter lead, the Badgers were overwhelmed by talent and momentum in overtime, losing touch quickly and scoring only four points in the extra stanza. Wisconsin showed its true identity in the first part of the game, but failed to play consistently well when it mattered most, earning them their eighth conference loss in 10 games. 

Following a quick turnaround, Wisconsin met with Illinois (10-11, 1-9) and looked to be in trouble early as the Illini sprinted out to a 12–3 lead. The Badgers lost the first quarter handily but put the worst of the game behind them before dominating the rest of the way. 

Wisconsin went on to outscore Illinois 70–52 after that early run from the home team. They played like the better side throughout the final three quarters, piecing together a win with sound defense and a number of opportunities from the free throw line.

Women’s Basketball: Badgers face Indiana, Illinois following tough loss to Nebraska

The Illini were not built to come back on the Badgers and proved unable to stop Wisconsin’s onslaught. Ultimately, the Badgers defeated a Big Ten opponent on the road — no matter the team specifics, that win holds merit when the Badgers needed it most. 

The win salvaged what had to have been a disappointing road trip. Once again, the Badgers emerge with a .500 record to show for a roller coaster year. As the season winds down, the competition will not, as the Badgers are slated to return to the Kohl Center for a border battle matchup versus Minnesota (14-8, 4-7). 

Wisconsin will face the Golden Gophers on Thursday, Feb. 6. Tip off is set for 7 p.m.