Women’s Hockey: Top two teams in college hockey compete for border battle supremacy

Border battle has traditionally served as accurate proxy for eventual national title competition
Hazel Tang

The No. 1 ranked Wisconsin women’s hockey team (21-2-1, 11-2-1 WCHA) are preparing to take the ice against the No. 2 Minnesota Gophers (20-2-3, 12-2-2) this weekend at LaBahn Arena. 

https://badgerherald.com/sports/2020/01/21/womens-hockey-badgers-advance-into-2020-with-comparatively-dominant-record/

The Badgers are coming off their bye week poised to make a deep postseason run, and are looking to recapture the stellar play that led to them being Frozen Four champions last March. The unit’s matchup with Minnesota marks the second time the two powerhouses have faced off this season, with the first series resulting in a 4–2 Gopher win and a 2–2 tie. 

Overall, the Gophers own a 53-39-12 all-time record against the Badgers in a series dating back to 1999. Despite the many twists and turns that both teams have encountered throughout the season, the matchup is still a solid indication of which team can be a legitimate contender for the national championship title later this season. 

https://badgerherald.com/sports/2019/12/10/womens-hockey-offensive-weapons-key-in-no-1-badgers-continuing-success/

The Badgers are looking to regain their footing after stumbling against Bemidji State on January 11th, where the squad was defeated by the Beavers 3–2. This loss came as a shock to those familiar with the team as the Badgers dominated the Beavers with extreme consistency over the last few seasons. 

When asked about his outlook on the final month of the season at a press conference January 20th, Head Coach Mark Johnson was excited about the opportunity the remaining games hold per UW Athletics.

“We look forward to the challenges, to me it really becomes a ten game season,” the five-time national champion stated. “Everybody within our league has to play everybody, and whoever does the best in these ten games is going to be in a better position than the other teams. So it’s fun, it’s exciting, and it’s almost like a playoff atmosphere this last month of the season.”

https://badgerherald.com/sports/2019/11/05/womens-hockey-wisconsin-scuffles-in-weekend-border-battle-against-minnesota/

Minnesota will remain the Badgers’ toughest opponent for the foreseeable future, and securing a win against them will go a long way in carving the path to another national title. While the Badgers may have fallen last time they traveled to Minneapolis, the influence of a packed LaBahn arena cannot be understated. 

Puck drop is scheduled for 7:07 p.m. Friday and 3:07 p.m. Saturday, and the game can be listened to live on 100.9 FM radio.