Volleyball: Badgers look to bounce back after tough weekend

Badgers take on No. 13 Purdue, unranked Indiana in last home matches of season

After the No. 8 Wisconsin volleyball team (16-6) experienced a two-loss weekend to No. 3 Minnesota and No. 14 Michigan, the Badgers dropped three spots in the rankings.

Fortunately, they have a quick turnaround that will give the Badgers a chance to recover in matches against the No. 13 Purdue Boilermakers (21-4) Friday night and the Indiana Hoosiers Saturday.

The Boilermakers are coming off a two-win weekend with major help from their star redshirt senior outside hitter, Sherridan Atkinson. She was recently named the Sports Impact/AVCA National Player of the Week for her part  in helping the Boilermakers roll past No. 4 Penn State in October.

Men’s Basketball: Happ’s triple double paves way for 85–63 Badger victory in season opener

But the Badgers have a nationally recognized player of their own. Sophomore middle blocker, Dana Rettke was recently named the Big Ten player of the week despite the two losses. She recorded a school record 30 kills against Minnesota and a double-double with 10 blocks against Michigan. She currently leads the Big Ten in blocks per set percentage.

It’s safe to assume the showdown between Atkinson and Rettke in the front row will be an exciting matchup.

While the Boilermakers are seemingly gaining momentum as they head into the last month of regular season play, the last time the Badgers and the Boilermakers faced each other, it was all Badgers and then some.

Leading in nearly all major stat categories, Wisconsin swept the Boilermakers in three sets back in September. Rettke had 15 kills, Danielle Hart led the way with four blocks and Molly Haggerty had 10 digs.

Badger libero, Tiffany Clark will look to build upon their recent dominant performances in the back row to shut down Purdue’s front hitting core. Clark sits fourth in the Big Ten for digs per set and that has been impacted by her dominant performance as of late.

The second matchup of the season between the No. 13 Purdue Boilermakers and the No. 8 Wisconsin Badgers will take place at the UW Fieldhouse Friday at 7 p.m.

Men’s soccer: Badgers take on Michigan in high stakes semi-final matchup

The Badgers will also face off against the Indiana Hoosiers (15-10) Saturday. Coming off of a recent five-set loss to Purdue, Indiana is looking to regain the groove they had to propel them past No. 14 Michigan earlier in the season. Indiana has taken three matches against ranked big ten teams into five sets.

That game will also take place at the UW Fieldhouse Saturday at 7 p.m. The Badgers will be recognizing their lone senior, Tionna Williams in their last home match of the season.