Volleyball: Badgers welcome Cornhuskers for Friday night showdown

Wisconsin has eighth toughest schedule in nation this season
Dakota Roettger

The No. 9 University of Wisconsin Women’s Volleyball team (12-4, 5-3 Big Ten) is set to welcome the No. 5 Nebraska Cornhuskers (15-3, 6-2) to Madison for a duel at the Wisconsin Field House. The match is set for 8 p.m. Friday night and will be aired on the Big Ten Network.  

Wisconsin is coming off a weekend in which they went 1-1, beating the Northwestern Wildcats before losing the next day to the Illinois Fighting Illini.

The Badgers dropped into a tie for fifth place in the Big Ten, with Illinois putting them three games behind the first place Gophers.

Even though there are still 12 games left this year, being three games behind is looking increasingly dire for the Badgers, as the Gophers remain perfect and continue to play like one of the hottest teams in the country.   

Women’s soccer: Badgers to play final regular season games versus Nebraska, Ohio State

Despite dropping two of their last three games, Nebraska, with their 6-2 record, is another such team. The losses came at the hands of No. 5 Minnesota and then on the road at No. 9 Penn State.

The losses put them in a three-way tie for second place in the Big Ten, but they have lost no national respect, as their last three games were arguably one of the toughest stretches for any team this year. Now, on top of that, Nebraska will travel to Madison and face the newly ninth-ranked Badgers.  

Mikaela Foecke leads the Huskers with 3.67 kills/set while hitting a solid .317 percent. The Badgers will be facing a pesky defense Friday, led by the six-foot-five freshman Callie Schwarzenbach. She leads the team in blocks with 108, while averaging 1.64 blocks/set. 

Even more of an interesting matchup comes between the two setters, who are separated by only 11 total assists. Wisconsin’s starting setter, Sydney Hilley, has 657 assists on the season with 11.53 assists/set. On the other hand, Nebraska’s setter Nicklin Hames has 668 assists this year, while averaging 10.52 assists/set.  

Women’s Hockey: Badgers sweep weekend series versus No. 4 UMD

Both the Badgers and the Cornhuskers have explosive offenses detailing four hitters each with over 100 kills in the season. These two team are just about even, split right down the middle, making for what should be a very entertaining game.  

The theme is white out, so come dressed in an all-white outfit to Friday’s game. The action starts at 8 p.m., and you can watch it on the Big Ten Network or listen live with the Badger Rewind, 92.1.