Men’s golf: Six Badgers will play in Colleton River Collegiate

Young Wisconsin team looks to continue impressive start
Flickr user Marin Susic

Six golfers from the University of Wisconsin men’s golf team will compete in Bluffton, South Carolina on the Colleton River Club golf course for the Colleton River Collegiate March 12-13.

Wisconsin will send a majority freshman and sophomore team to compete in the event. Freshmen Sam Anderson and Griffin Barela, sophomores Pete Kuhl and Nick Robinson and junior Jordan Hahn round out the Badger underclassmen that will play Monday. The lone senior Eddie Wajda will also compete but as an individual.

While snow may still cover the courses up in The Badger State, the weather has not stopped Wisconsin from hitting the greens as the Badgers venture southward to compete for the second time this winter.

https://badgerherald.com/sports/2018/03/07/mens-hockey-wisconsin-season-comes-to-end-after-disappointing-loss-to-michigan/

Wisconsin last played Feb. 9-10 in the Big Ten Match Play from Palm Coast, Florida where the Badgers placed third going 4-0 in their matches and beating three top 50 programs. But Wisconsin, whose young and unproven roster puts them behind many southern schools that get more opportunity to play during the winter, still ranks just 86th in the nation on Golfstat.com.

The Badgers will get another opportunity to prove themselves again in South Carolina as they take on Michigan State, Rutgers, George Washington, Miami, Eastern Michigan, Cincinnati, Penn State, Oakland, Iowa State, Winthrop and Valparaiso in a Midwest and Northeast battle.

When talking with UW Athletics, Coach Burcin made it no secret how eager he was to see his young team go out and compete again.

“We are all ready to get going again,” Burcin said. “Colleton River will provide a great test of golf for us. We have been preaching that all of our goals are in front of us this spring and there is no secret to what it will take. Simple, good decisions and being confident in who we are is what we are focusing on every week from the conclusion of the match play, through the spring. Because of our depth and how young we are, each of these guys has a strong belief in each other, and we are very excited to tee it up again this week.”

Be sure to check back on how the Badgers perform Monday and Tuesday from South Carolina.