Wisconsin football to celebrate homecoming by taking on Terrapins in intense mid-season matchup

The Badgers hope to end week with another victory, bring record to 7-0
Riley Steinbrenner

As homecoming week comes to a pinnacle of activities and celebration, the University of Wisconsin football team is preparing for a crucial game Saturday.

There are so many things hanging on the line this weekend, and a Wisconsin victory send a strong message about just how powerful Wisconsin football is. For starters, if Wisconsin wins this weekend, it will be the first time the Badgers have gone 7-0 since 2004.

There is also something special on the line for a specific player this weekend, as Wisconsin’s running back Jonathan Taylor is just 14 yards away from his 1,000th yard. This is pretty impressive considering Taylor is only a freshman and has only played six games this year.

Taylor will be among a few freshmen in Wisconsin history to have hit this benchmark during their first season with the Badgers. His impressive performances throughout the season have placed him on the Heisman Trophy watch list for 2017, and he has shown he deserves to be there just as much as any of the other nominees.

Maryland has been struggling in the Big Ten but has still managed to pull out a successful upset against Minnesota three weekends ago. It shocked everybody (and excited Wisconsin fans) when the Terrapins managed to overthrow the Gophers 31-24 during week eight.

Since then, Maryland has been dealt a series of losses after games against Ohio State and Northwestern. The Terps are sitting in fifth place in the Big Ten East, and they’re looking at climbing their way back up in their divisional standings.

Wisconsin and Maryland share little history, having only played two games against each other in the past. Both times, the Badgers managed to walk away from the game with another W added to their schedule, and fans are all hoping this weekend will be the same.

The Badgers and the Terrapins meet 11 a.m. at Camp Randall for a thrilling homecoming series. Hopefully, the homecoming celebrations will be able to continue well into the night in Madison after another Badger win.