Women’s soccer: Badgers look to get back on track after disappointing road trip

Badgers, Hoosiers to face each other in Big Ten Battle this weekend
Quinn Beaupre

An interesting match up is ahead as both the University of Wisconsin women’s soccer team (8-3-1, 2-2-1 Big Ten) and Indiana Hoosiers (5-6-2, 1-3-1 Big Ten) have faced difficulties in their respective seasons as of late.

Both Wisconsin and Indiana have struggled, each dropping two of their last three.  For the Badgers, a statement win could be monumental in turning around the spirits of a team that’s been on the losing end of some close games recently.

Women’s soccer: Wisconsin falls to Rutgers in tight road contest

Each of Wisconsin’s five Big Ten matchups thus far in the season have gone to overtime.  While the team’s defense has kept scores low, they need more offensive production if they want to start winning consistently again.

Against their last opponent, Rutgers, Wisconsin only totaled two shots on goal.  Head coach Paula Wilkins may want to reevaluate some of her lineups as to create more opportunities for the offense to score.

While strikers Dani Rhodes and Lauren Rice have played excellent, more players need to be involved in the offensive attack if the team wants to put up a high number of points. At the moment, 11 of the eighteen goals scored by the Badgers have come off of this duo.

While these two players have a higher shot percentage than the rest of the team, if you can get some of the mid fielders in better opportunities, their percentages could raise considerably. Involving these midfielders or even running more three forward formations could significantly improve offensive production. Emily Borgmann may be someone to look to in these lineups as the freshman has already scored two goals on just eleven shots.

Women’s soccer: Wisconsin, Maryland end game in tie

Indiana will counter Wisconsin’s offensive efforts with standout goalkeeper Bethany Kopel. Kopel has maintained a solid .761 save percentage this season and looks to be a defensive obstacle for the Badgers.

On the other side of the ball, the Hoosiers top two scorers are Maya Piper and Chandra Davidson. These strikers have combined for 11 goals thus far in the season and should be a challenge, even for Wisconsin’s star goalkeeper Caitlyn Clem.

This game is Wisconsin’s final contest at home for three weeks and could be an emotional turning point as the team heads out on a long stretch of road games.

Kickoff will be 1 p.m. Sunday at the McClimon complex and will also be available to stream on BTN Plus.