Hornibook shows quarterback capabilities against BYU, Badgers grow stronger than ever

Wisconsin ends it’s final non-conference game in a spectacular fashion
Jason Chan

The University of Wisconsin football team ended their non-conference season in a spectacular fashion against BYU, in large part thanks to quarterback Alex Hornibrook.

Many have been doubting Hornibrook’s capabilities throughout the beginning of the season, and the sophomore has been struggling to gain his confidence. Hornibrook already has one interception on his stat sheet, not to mention two sacks from the first game of the season.

Football: Wisconsin starts game strong, fails to continue momentum

Many thought that Hornibrook was struggling to get back to his standard of play from the previous season, but then came the game against BYU. Not only would Wisconsin’s quarterback get his groove back, but he would go on to break a school record.

The star of the game completed 18 of the 19 passes that he threw (94.7 percent completion), throwing for 256 yards and helping Wisconsin earn four touchdowns during the game. Hornibrook now holds a school record for the highest completion percentage in a single-game, with the previous title holder being Darrell Bevell.

That same percentage also happens to be the best in the Big Ten during a single game from any quarterback attempting at least 13 passes during the game, and the fifth-highest from a quarterback completing at least 10 passes during a game.

It seems as though this road trip was one of the best things that could have happened to Wisconsin, and this team is finally finding their chemistry despite having numerous instances of miscommunication during the first two games of the season. If this work continues, the Badgers should find themselves at the top of the Big Ten in no time.

Football: Chryst’s 100th win begins slowly, develops momentum in second half

While it might be offenses that win games, the UW defense managed to turn in yet another solid performance in Provo, holding the team to a grand total of six points during the four quarters. This would also be the third time this season that the Badgers managed to hold an offense from scoring during the entire second half of the game.

Wisconsin has earned the right to a much needed week off before they welcome Northwestern to Camp Randall to kick off their first Big Ten football game of the season. Northwestern is going to have a hard time holding down this Badger team, who is on their way to becoming one of the best teams in the Big Ten, if not the nation.

40  Wisconsin     Final Score     BYU  6