Women’s hockey: Two Badgers earn WCHA Player of the Week honors for weekend sweep

“Fill the Bowl” brings out largest crowd in women’s hockey history, lives up to hype
Elliot Moormann

University of Wisconsin women’s hockey goalie Ann-Renee Desbiens and forward Emily Clark both earned the Western Colligate Hockey Association Player of the Week honor after their role in a Badger sweep over St. Cloud State last weekend. The award, given on Tuesday, marks yet another milestone in the historic 2016-17 season the No. 1 Badgers hope will end in a national title.

Clark, who has been on a tear as of late, continued her dominant play with seven points this weekend, including four goals and three assists. The Canada native led the NCAA in points over the two games with six of them coming in the 9-0 rout Friday. The impressive total puts Clark in conversation as one of the best attackers in the country and someone that could be a major factor in the Badgers’ postseason goals.

Men’s hockey: Luke Kunin notches second Big Ten Star of the Week award

For Desbiens, however, it is almost a rarity when she doesn’t take home this award. The standout senior goalie is breaking school and national records almost every week, recording two more shutouts on the weekend and leaving no doubt who the better team on the ice was. Also a Canada native, Desbiens is asserting herself as one of the best college goalies of all time and has certainly cemented herself on the list of outstanding Wisconsin players over the years.

The series with St. Cloud was played under the banner, “Fill the Bowl,” and drew the largest crowd in women’s college hockey history with more than 15,000 in attendance at the Kohl Center. The games lived up to the hype for the Badger faithful as the team improved to 20-2-1 on the year and extended its win streak to six. Desbiens and Clark were obviously a large part of the success, but the team effort was almost as strong and lead to an all-around solid weekend for the Badgers.

Men’s hockey: Badgers split first Big Ten series against Michigan

UW stays home for another weekend series with the University of North Dakota. The games Saturday begins at 1 p.m. CT and Sunday at noon at LaBahn Arena.