Women’s hockey: Roque & Desbiens named WCHA Players of the Week

Both players helped lead the No. 1 Badgers to back-to-back wins against Bemidji State
Womens+hockey+captured+the+WCHA+title+in+early+March+when+they+finally+got+a+win+over+rival+Minnesota.+
Elliot Moormann
Women’s hockey captured the WCHA title in early March when they finally got a win over rival Minnesota.

After a successful weekend for the University of Wisconsin women’s hockey team, senior goaltender Ann-Renée Desbiens and freshman forward Abby Roque have received WCHA Player of Week honors for their outstanding performances.

Desbiens earned the WCHA Defensive Player of the Week honor after clinching the NCAA record for most shutouts in a career last weekend against Bemidji State University. Desbiens earned her 44th career shutout after posting 5-0 and 6-0 finishes over the Beavers. Tuesday marked the 14th time in Desbiens’ career that she has earned this honor.

Women’s hockey: No. 1 Badgers set records in weekend sweep of Bemidji State

Desbiens also was also named the American Sports Network Women’s Hockey Player of the Week. Desbiens has been considered one of the most successful goaltenders in the NCAA on both the men and women’s hockey teams.

On the other side of the ice for the top-ranked Badgers, Roque earned the WCHA Rookie of the Week. Roque scored two goals and notched three assists against Bemidji, but contrary to Desbiens’ bevy of awards, it was the first time in her career that Roque has been honored with this title.

The Michigan-native had four points coming into last weekend and tallied five more last weekend. The offensive boost lifted Roque to boasting the fifth-highest point total among all rookies in the NCAA. She is also currently tied for the second most points scored by all WCHA conference rookies.

Roque’s five points were the most scored by any NCAA rookie last week and she also ranked third among all NCAA players on the weekend. With such an impressive performance early on this month, Roque has placed herself in contention for the November WCHA Rookie of the Month. The October recipient was given to Roque’s teammate and fellow Badger Presley Norby.

Both performances helped the Badgers further prove their No. 1 status. Wisconsin has the weekend off before heading to Minnesota for a series battle with No. 3 University of Minnesota-Duluth Nov. 18 and 19.