Geistlinger & Hayes: Everything you need to know about Saturday’s CFB lineup

Highlighting all the best games from around the country Saturday, Nov. 5

The Badger Herald Sports section’s weekly double feature is highlighting all of the weekend’s biggest games outside of Madison each Saturday.

For any fellow college football junkies out there, feel free to chime in via Twitter with any questions, comments or requests to @BHeraldSports for the column going forward.

Football: No. 8 Wisconsin isn’t through the gauntlet quite yet

No. 11 Wisconsin (6-2) at Northwestern (4-4)

Where: Ryan Field, Evanston, Illinois

When: 11 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 5

TV: ABC (Channel 607 on Residence Hall Cable) / WatchESPN

Line: Wisconsin (-7.0)

Already having defeated the University of Wisconsin football team in back-to-back seasons, Northwestern University has been turning it on lately after a horrendous start. The Wildcats keep things close, and they are 5-1 against the spread in their last 6 games. Despite being 6.5 and 10.5-point underdogs to the University of Iowa and Michigan State University respectively, NU still managed to defeated both opponents by at least one touchdown. Though the Badgers are the better team, their struggles against Northwestern and lack of offensive explosion leaves the Wildcats with a good chance to at least cover the seven-point spread.

GeistlingerWisconsin 24, Northwestern 19

Hayes: Wisconsin 30, Northwestern 24

Football: Wisconsin receives No. 8 in first College Football Playoff rankings

No. 1 Alabama (8-0) at No. 13 LSU (6-2)

Where: Tiger Stadium, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

When: 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 5

TV: CBS (Channel 603 on Residence Hall Cable)

Line: Alabama (-7.5)

Boasting a five-game win streak over Louisiana State University, the University of Alabama has successfully spoiled most of the glory behind what used to be a unpredictable heavy-weight showdown between SEC West giants. But with LSU star running back Leonard Fournette posting Heisman-type numbers in the past few games, the vaunted Alabama defense may face their toughest test of the season. It’s hard to beat LSU at home, and with a freshman quarterback in Bama’s Jalen Hurts, look for the Tigers to capitalize on potential mistakes by the Crimson Tide office. Alabama is the best team in the country, but come Saturday night in Baton Rouge, that won’t mean anything to the more 100,000 fans packed into “Death Valley.” But after they covered a 19-point spread in their last game against then-No. 6 Texas A&M University, it’s tough to bet against the Tide.

GeistlingerAlabama 34, LSU 21

Hayes: Alabama 27, LSU 21

No. 10 Nebraska (7-1) at No. 6 Ohio State (7-1)

Where: Ohio Stadium, Columbus, Ohio

When: 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 5

TV: ABC (Channel 607 on Residence Hall Cable) / WatchESPN

Line: Ohio State (-17.0)

Despite suffering their first loss of the season to then-No. 11 Wisconsin in Madison last week in a 23-17 overtime thriller, the University of Nebraska performed well against a team that many expected would expose them. Unfortunately for the Cornhuskers, this weekend isn’t getting any easier. For No. 6 Ohio State University, a statement win over a top 10 team like Nebraska is the perfect remedy for consecutive, less-than-stellar performances. The Buckeyes are for real, but their loss to then-unranked Penn State University on Oct. 22 along with four-point finish over Northwestern last week haven’t given the CFP selection committee anything to dwell on lately. Expect OSU quarterback J.T. Barrett and the Buckeyes to run away with this one if they get the chance.

GeistlingerOhio State 31, Nebraska 17

Hayes: Ohio State 42, Nebraska 20

Football: Nebraska game ranks 7th on most watched game on ESPN this year

No. 5 Washington (8-0) at California (4-4)

Where: Memorial Stadium, Berkeley, California

When: 9:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 5

TV: ESPN (Channel 660 on Residence Hall Cable)

Line: Washington (-17.0)

Last week in this column, I admitted that I had never watched University of Washington, yet I picked them to cover. In another game I did not watch, Washington vs. University of Utah, they failed to do so. So, this week I have little choice but to pick against them. This Saturday, Washington takes on the Golden Bears of University of California in a game with a staggering 78-point Over-Under. Cal’s coaching staff seems to have made the bold decision not to teach their players how to play defense this season, allowing 41.8 points per game. They also score 41.3 points per game, however, on the offensive side of the ball. At the very least, Cal should keep this one respectable playing under the national spotlight on ESPN Saturday night.

GeistlingerWashington 53, California 38

Hayes: Washington 45, California 21

Hayes & Geistlinger’s Upset Alert: Iowa at No. 12 Penn State

Where: Beaver Stadium, University Park, Pennsylvania

When: 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 5

TV: BTN (Channel 664 on Residence Hall Cable)

Line: Penn State (-7.0)

Penn State received quite the favorable ranking in Tuesday night’s first College Football Playoff poll, jumping from AP No. 20 to CFP No. 12. The Nittany Lions have been on a tear lately, winning four in a row outright and three in a row against the spread, including their win over previously undefeated and then No. 5 Ohio State. Meanwhile, the University of Iowa is struggling 3-2 in the Big Ten despite their preseason title expectations. This game, however, seems ripe for an upset. Iowa’s three loses have been by a combined 17 points, and they are desperate for a win to stay in the hunt for the West division. Look for them to stay alive and pull it off in a close one on the road in Happy Vally Saturday night.

GeistlingerIowa 17, Penn State 16

Hayes: Penn State 34, Iowa 24