Women’s hockey: Badgers need to finally beat Minnesota in NCAA playoffs to win Frozen Four

Largely intact roster from previous season, No. 1 ranking all hands in what could finally spell end to drought
Elliot Moormann

It’s been five years since the last time University of Wisconsin women’s hockey lifted the national championship trophy — an eternity in the minds of its players.

Last season, the Badgers came ever so close to erasing that drought but ultimately fell to the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities in the Frozen Four. That game went to overtime and was eerily predicted to end in that fashion by Wisconsin head coach Mark Johnson, whose team lost 3-2.

Unfortunately, Johnson and the Badgers are no strangers to their season ending at the hands of Minnesota. Since the Badgers’ last national championship during the 2010-11 season, Minnesota has knocked the Badgers out of contention three times and beaten them in the NCAA championship game once.

It’s cliché at this point to say the team is focused on winning a national championship, what they need to do this season is beat the team that’s been standing in their way — Minnesota. But that needs to be taken even a step further. Wisconsin swept the Gophers at home and beat them for the WCHA championship in Minneapolis last season. The Badgers’ true goal this season has to be to defeat the Gophers in the Frozen Four, whenever they come up because they will.

What else can even be the goal for a team that, last season, won 35 games, posted win streaks of 18 and 12 respectively, and didn’t allow a goal for nine straight games? It has seemed that in years past, the Frozen Four committee prefers Wisconsin – Minnesota matchup, and they’ve done their part to make one happen. Given the power of these two programs, it’s not unlikely to see another this season.

Wisconsin returns key players goaltender Ann-Renée Desbiens, top scoring forwards Annie Pankowski, Emily Clark, Sarah Nurse and Sydney McKibbon, and defensemen Jenny Ryan and Melissa Channel. All of this group were paramount in Wisconsin’s success last season and will play a huge part in whether or not the team again reaches the latter rounds of the NCAA championship.

At the helm, is Wisconsin hockey legend Mark Johnson for what will be his 15th season with the program.

With all of those factors in play for the Badgers, they will enter the season ranked No. 1 in the nation. Now with 30-plus games to play, it’s time for Wisconsin to deliver on that ranking.

Scouting report

Desbiens: When you have a goalie who can start 37 games a season and still post a 0.76 GAA and a .960 save percentage, you’re in good hands. The La Malbaie, Quebec native has been lights out for the Badgers in her three years and last season was no different, if not the best in Wisconsin history.

Desbiens broke every record in the book, and it didn’t matter to her whether it was a Wisconsin or NCAA record.

Most shutouts in a season for Wisconsin? Check off 21 for Desbiens.

NCAA records for save percentage and goals against? Done.

NCAA record for most consecutive shutout minutes? Not even close, try 543:53.

There is nothing more intimidating than a goalie who you know you’re not going to score on, and that is exactly what Desbiens is. With Desbiens in net for her senior season, the Badgers are bound to have another fantastic run.

Pankowski: Just two seasons of play are under her belt and Pankowski has scored more points than many players ever will in their entire NCAA careers. That span has seen the California native produce 101 points, and she’s only just getting started.

Now entering the prime of her collegiate career, the junior is, along with her teammates, hoping for that elusive championship. On her part, nothing has to change.

Pankowski’s quick hands are a nightmare for an opposing goaltender and her speed leaves their defense helpless to aid them. She can not only net the puck herself, but weave and dump off a perfect pass to let a teammate finish the job.

Truly, Pankowski is the heart and soul of an already immensely talented unit of forwards — that’s how good she is. Look for her to deliver much of the same as she takes to the ice with a group of forwards, which didn’t see too much impactful change from last season.

Games to watch for

Dec. 2 and 3, the Gophers come to Madison for the two program’s first meeting since their clash in the semifinal of last season’s Frozen Four.

With both team’s rosters largely intact from that last clash, tensions will be visibly high as both again fight to be the dominant power in the WCHA. For Wisconsin, this is their shot at revenge for yet another loss to Minnesota in the NCAA semifinal.

In front of a packed Lebahn Arena, both teams are sure to deliver an instant classic as they always seem to do.