Football: Natrell Jamerson out ‘probably four to six weeks’ with leg injury

Junior cornerback’s absence will hurt special teams
Jason Chan

The losses keep coming for the University of Wisconsin football team’s defense.

A week after learning sophomore linebacker Chris Orr would be lost for the season with an ACL injury, UW head coach Paul Chryst said Monday junior cornerback Natrell Jamerson will be out approximately four to six weeks with a left leg injury.

“I feel bad for [Jamerson],” Chryst said. “He’s a neat kid and fun to be around. Yesterday, talking to him, he’s got the right approach.”

Jamerson injured his leg while making a tackle with 6:22 remaining in No. 9 Wisconsin’s 54-10 win over Akron Saturday. The training staff carted Jamerson off the field.

https://badgerherald.com/sports/2016/09/10/football-badgers-rout-zips-in-home-opener/

Jamerson served as the Badger’s nickel cornerback option, often matching up with opponent’s receivers in the slot. Now, junior Lubern Figaro is listed on the two-deep depth chart, with freshman Caesar Williams as the other backup.

“There’s a lot of different guys that can step up for us,” fifth-year senior safety Leo Musso said. “It’s really just up to the coaches, who they want to put in, who they’re going to want at the nickel.”

Jamerson’s absence not only hurts the defense, but the special teams as well. Since he plays on all four sides of special teams, Chryst said it will most likely take four players to replace each of his roles.

Jamerson has served as Wisconsin’s primary kick returner and performed admirably in that role since he took responsibility of those duties last season. He averaged 22.3 yards per return in 2015, including a 98-yard touchdown at Maryland.

https://badgerherald.com/sports/2016/09/10/football-no-10-wisconsin-rolls-to-54-10-win-over-akron-behind-career-day-from-jazz-peavy/

Senior running back Corey Clement is now listed as the primary return man, with freshman wideout A.J. Taylor behind him. Chryst said Clement is a viable option to take over those duties.