The Freshman Five: sports all freshmen must see at Wisconsin

Don’t leave Wisconsin with regrets

As move-in week comes to a close and new Badgers familiarize themselves with campus, there is just one last part of that indoctrination — sports.

Being at a Big Ten university means you have countless talented varsity sports teams around you, and with 23 to choose from, it can be hard for a freshman to know which events are worth attending.

But have no fear, we’re here to help. Here are the top five sports that all freshman must see before the 2016-2017 school year comes to a close.

Disclaimer: you should see all of them, but seeing 23 different sporting events can be a bit of a challenge.

5. Softball

As one of the few outdoor sports that takes place during the spring, heading out to a softball game is a nice way for any Badger to take a break from strenuous studying for finals. Sitting with a view of Lake Mendota at Goodman Field is a nice way to unwind and enjoy one of America’s favorite pastimes.

The team performed well last year, posting a 28-24-1 record on the season. Considering their record of taking down Big Ten rival Minnesota in a complete weekend sweep, as well as scoring major wins against Illinois, Northwestern and Michigan State, fans are always in for a worthwhile game.

Wisconsin is a scrappy, predominantly young team that has some maturing to do, but that keeps games interesting.

Plus, the girls always manage to pick some killer walk music, so there is always a chance you’ll find a new song to add to your library.

Softball: Badgers bouncing back in big way in 2016

4. Volleyball

In case you prefer an indoor venue to an outdoor one, volleyball might just be the Wisconsin sport you’re looking for. The Field House is a great place to take new friends to support the volleyball team.

This year is going to be an exciting year for the team, as the Badgers try to make it back to the NCAA Tournament in December. The leadership and play of Lauren Carlini has brought the Badgers far over the past few years, and in her final season in Madison the future U.S. National Team setter is hungry for an elusive championship. She is joined by a veteran group of hitters in Haleigh Nelson and Lauryn Gillis to get the job done. Last season Wisconsin made it to the Regional Semi-Finals and is determined to make it back to the championship for the first time since 2012.

It’s sure to be a very exciting season for volleyball.

Volleyball: Carllini, Wisconsin chasing title in final season of best player in program history

3. Women’s Hockey

With 23 shut-out games last year, 21 of which happened with Wisconsin star goaltender Ann-Renée Desbiens in net, there is never an absence of excitement at a women’s hockey game.

This season is sure to be a smash for the Badgers, as they come off of their fantastic 2016-2017 season. There is no telling what this team will do, and you’ll want to be a part of the celebration.

So put on your warm Badger gear and get ready to shout “Ann-Renée is bae” with all your school mates.

Female athlete of the semester: Ann-Renée Desbiens

2. Men’s Basketball

If there is one sport that is quintessential to completing your freshman sporting experience, it is men’s basketball. Attending a men’s basketball game during your first year should be a degree requirement.

Thankfully, the Badgers didn’t lose star guard and funny man Nigel Hayes, which really would have put a damper on this season from the beginning. We all get to enjoy his ball and comedic skills for one more year, which should lead to a great season for fans and an abundance of Vines.

Badger freshmen need to experience the celebration that comes with Wisconsin Basketball, whether that means cheering in the stands after a big win, or flooding State Street after making the NCAA Tournament finals. There is always something to celebrate when it comes to men’s basketball.

Hayes: In ‘one-and-done’ era, Nigel Hayes’ return isn’t so simple

1. Football

It should be illegal to go to Wisconsin and not see a football game, especially during your freshman year. Seriously, attending a football game is one of the biggest perks you get from attending a Big Ten university.

There are so many memories that can be made while attending a UW football game. Whether it is the fourth-quarter “Jump Around” or watching the Badgers take the axe away from Minnesota again (12 years and counting), there are plenty selfie-ready moments for all fans to capture.

In photos: UW fans’ fairytale comes true with Badger win at Lambeau

So get your calendars out and start penciling in games. By the end of the year you’ll have five sports crossed off your list and memories that will make you proud to be a Badger.