Softball: After major win over Minnesota, Badgers look to continue momentum

Wisconsin will wrap up its second road series of week against Iowa
Jason Chan

University of Wisconsin softball will take on the University of Iowa Hawkeyes before it can come home for an eight game homestead.

After a 3-2 week, the Badgers (21-16-1, 6-4-1 Big Ten) have all the motivation they need to go into this weekend and defeat the Hawkeyes (11-26, 1-9 Big Ten).

Last time out

The Badgers certainly have something to be proud of going into this series after sweeping rival University of Minnesota- Twin Cities, 6-3 and 7-1 Tuesday.

Considering that Minnesota is ranked No. 19 nationally, and Wisconsin is ranked No. 73, it was a major win for the Badgers.
Now that they have serious momentum behind them — not to mention a 7-2 record in away games — the Badgers find themselves in a good position going into this weekend’s matchup.

Softball: Pair of heavy hitting innings push Boilermakers past Badgers in weekend series

Badger’s senior advantage

If the Badgers want to find themselves the winner of this weekend’s contest, they need to have solid performances out of their senior class.

Against Minnesota, senior players accounted for six of the 13 runs scored in the series, which was 46 percent of the total runs scored.

It is clear that the senior class is becoming a dominant force on the team, and when they find their marks, there is nothing that can stop the Badgers. If Wisconsin wants to pull a win out of the weekend, they need to look no further than their leaders for the momentum.

Softball: Badgers look to embrace rare home-field advantage

Iowa player to watch: Holly Hoffman

Redshirt senior Hoffman is Iowa’s top batter this season with a .330 cumulative batting average. While Hoffman — a catcher — might not offer much of a threat defensively to the Badgers, she will be a major run scorer for the team, with 31 hits, 20 RBIs and four home runs.