Softball: Badgers look to embrace rare home-field advantage

For one of only five times this season, Wisconsin will play at home
Jason Chan

Wisconsin softball will host its second Big Ten opponent of the season this weekend, when they meet for a three game series against Purdue University.

The Badgers (18-14-1, 3-2-1 Big Ten) will host the Boilermakers (21-16, 3-5 Big Ten) in a double header Saturday. This will be Wisconsin’s second home series this month.

Last time out

The Badgers are coming off of a major Big Ten match-up against Ohio State, which resulted in Wisconsin earning one win, one loss and one tie over the weekend. Having made it through their first weekend at home against a Big Ten opponent, Wisconsin now finds itself better prepared to take on conference opponents.

Keys to Wisconsin Success

One of the key points to success for the Badgers is going to be honing in their home-field advantage. With only five of 33 games played at home this season, Wisconsin is used to playing on someone else’s field than they are their own.

Being at home gives Wisconsin an advantage they haven’t had for two months. If the Badgers want to walk away with a series win this weekend, they will need to use that home field advantage to gain confidence and momentum. As a young team, a crowd behind Wisconsin could help them keep composure.

Softball: Despite ‘rookie team’ status, Badgers looking to make big splash in 2016

Opposing player to watch: Kristen Hoppman

As the Boilermakers’ top hitter, Hoppman is walking into the weekend with a .341 batting average (.267 Big Ten) and four home runs on the season. Hoppman is also a talented fielder as well, with a .948 fielding percentage. If there is one thing the Badgers don’t want to do, it would be letting the ball anywhere near Hoppman.