Men’s hockey: Eaves axed, search begins for new men’s hockey coach

14-year head coach released following team’s 5-2 loss to Penn State
Wisconsin head coach Mike Eaves signed two new recruits yesterday to play in the 2009-10 season.

Athletic Director Barry Alvarez has yet another coaching vacancy to fill after releasing Wisconsin men’s hockey head coach Mike Eaves Thursday night.

The firing came immediately following a 5-2 loss to Penn State in the Big Ten tournament, which finalized an 8-19-8 (3-13-4 Big Ten) record on the year for the Badgers and secured a last place finish in the Big Ten for the second season in a row.

“After last season, because of the success we’ve had in the past, we felt that Mike had earned a chance to get the ship righted.” Alvarez said. “But now, after back-to-back seasons like the last two we’ve had, I feel we need a change.”

Men’s hockey: Badgers bow out of Big Ten Tournament after loss to Penn State

The move by Alvarez was not much of a surprise after Eaves’ annual one year contract was not renewed in mid February and the team dropped two embarrassing home losses to rival Minnesota.

Despite a 14-year coaching stint for Eaves and a 2006 NCAA championship, a second season with single digit wins was enough for Alvarez to make the move.

“Our fans and everyone expect more,” Alvarez said. “With our facilities and what we have to sell, we feel we should be at a championship level.”

Success in the Kohl Center has plummeted under the Eaves era, racking in only $38,000 per year as opposed to the almost $1.5 million that hockey used to bring to the university.

Attendance has also taken a hit, dropping as much as 23 percent in season ticket sales since the 2006 championship. Last season’s mark of four wins was the worst in school history and a surprise given the tournament appearance for the Badgers just the season before.

The fire ends an illustrious career for Eaves, including the title of all time leading goal scorer and a spot in the UW Athletic Hall of Fame. He finishes as one of the most storied coaches in Badger history, making the move by Alvarez a tough one to make.

Now, Alvarez is tasked with another coaching fill after signing head men’s basketball coach Greg Gard and releasing head women’s basketball coach Bobbie Kelsey.

While no definite candidates for the hockey job are clear yet, rumors are that women’s hockey head coach and former Badger legend Mark Johnson could be on Alvarez’s mind.

The Badger faithful would be thrilled to rally around Johnson to build back a once historic program, but another Frozen Four appearance for the women’s team and loads of success will probably keep him grounded in LaBahn Arena for now.

“I told Mike I appreciated the work he’s done here,” Alvarez said. “I also told him that we have great tradition and standards here in hockey. He’s the gate-keeper of hockey. I’m the gate-keeper of the department. We both have a responsibility.”