Men’s basketball: Wisconsin legend Michael Finley addresses team following win over Michigan

Former Badger shares words of wisdom with team after being honored during first half Sunday
Screenshot via Wisconsin Badgers YouTube

During a media timeout in the first half of University of Wisconsin men’s basketball team’s 68-57 victory over Michigan Sunday, one of the greatest athletes to ever wear the cardinal and white walked out to halfcourt.

Michael Finley, now 42 years old, played four years at Wisconsin from 1991-95 before going on to play 15 years in the NBA. He was given a warm welcome in his return to the Kohl Center, as fans gave the UW great a standing ovation as he stood at the center of the floor.

Finely, who was teammates with current UW assistant Howard Moore, also took the time to talk to the team after Sunday’s victory, wishing the student athletes their best as they continue to play their best basketball of the year and head into the postseason.

Finley averaged 18.7 points per game over his four-year career at Wisconsin and is second in school history in points scored with 2,147. He had three seasons in which he averaged over 20 points per game, and his most productive season came as a sophomore, where he averaged 22.1 points. Finley was also named the USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year in 1993.

Finley then went on to have a successful NBA career after being drafted 21st overall by the Phoenix Suns in 1995 and started his professional stint with 11 straight double-digit scoring seasons.

The former Badger also had five straight seasons as part of the Dallas Mavericks from 1998- 2002 where he averaged over 20 points per game and was named an NBA All-Star in 2000 and 2001.