Women’s basketball: Wisconsin heads to Maryland in search of season defining win

Only Ohio State has beaten Maryland, Wisconsin looks to do the same

The Wisconsin women’s basketball team will travel to College Park, Maryland Saturday looking to upset one of the best teams in the nation. The Badgers (7-19, 3-13) will take on the No. 6 Terrapins (25-3, 14-2), looking to be the first team other than Ohio State to defeat the Terrapins in Big Ten play.

To beat Maryland, Wisconsin will need to reverse course from their previous matchup where Maryland stormed into the Kohl Center and throttled the home team in a 25-point drubbing.

Last Time Out

Wisconsin’s most recent game was a home loss to Northwestern on Senior Day. The Badgers, who were down six at the break, saw the Wildcats extend their lead in the third quarter and lost 53-71. In their last game at the Kohl Center, seniors Nicole Bauman and Michala Johnson both totaled 13 points, but it was not enough to defeat the Northwestern squad, which had four players in double figures.

Wisconsin’s Keys to Victory

Play through the Big 3: All season, the Badgers have struggled to get the trio of Bauman, Johnson and Dakota Whyte to play at their peak in the same game. The three seniors are the only players on the team averaging double figures and will need to play their best to defeat the Terrapins.

Catch fire from deep: Simply put, the Badgers will need some magic from deep to defeat the Terrapins on the road. Wisconsin will need to shoot drastically better than their season average of 36 percent from beyond the arc to upset their top 10 foe. Despite Wisconsin’s best efforts, it will be unlikely they get the upset.

Opposing Player to Watch: Junior Center Brionna Jones

Though the answer could have been “any player in a Maryland jersey,” Jones has been a force on the inside for Maryland and gave Wisconsin fits in their last meeting. She had 22 points, 9 rebounds, 2 blocks and only missed 3 of her 14 shots in 23 minutes during the teams’ first meeting. On the season, Jones is averaging a double-double in conference play and is one of the top players in the conference.