Women’s basketball: Badgers’ poor showing leaves room for improvement

Riding a six-game losing streak, Wisconsin plans to leave everything on the court
Andrew Salewski

Wisconsin women’s basketball is lacking in some fundamental areas.

The Badgers conceded 12 offensive rebounds to Michigan State and scored only 12 points during the second quarter of their Jan. 31 game. Michigan State outshot the Badgers 26-12 in the timeframe, allowing them to build to a 45-29 lead by halftime and a gap too large for Wisconsin to recover.

Wisconsin head coach Bobbie Kelsey attributed the second quarter slip-up to defensive breakdowns and a great effort on offense by the Spartans.

“There’s a lot of offensive firepower on their side,” Kelsey said. “We may have had a defensive breakdown here and there, but I thought we had some good looks. The difference is you just have to make those little shots right around the basket.”

Michigan State’s Aerial Powers was a large contributing factor to the Spartans’ offensive firepower. Wisconsin was unable to hold her in check as she went on to score 30 points that night.

Seniors Nicole Bauman and Dakota Whyte were the only two Badgers to score in double figures and both agreed that an abysmal second quarter set them up for failure.

“I think we got good looks, we just have to finish,” Whyte said. “There’s nothing really more that I can say. The ball has to go in the basket.”

Though the Badgers were not victorious, they played in great company.

Sunday’s game was the annual Think Pink game in support of breast cancer awareness. All players sported pink on their jerseys and the Kohl Center had its largest crowd for women’s basketball this season with 9,436 attendees, creating a memorable atmosphere.

The Badgers’ performance, however, was anything but.

With an overall record of 6-14, Wisconsin has an uphill battle ahead of them.

They are currently riding a six-game losing streak, but are optimistic they will break it against Ohio State Thursday.

“We won’t hang our heads, we will get some of these games,” Kelsey said.