Football: Wisconsin to hire Justin Wilcox as new defensive coordinator

USC’s defense gave up 25.7 points per game, was 50th best in nation last season

The Wisconsin football team is close to finalizing a deal to hire former University of Southern California defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox to the same position, according to a report by FootballScoop.com. University of Wisconsin Athletics, however, has yet to make a formal announcement.

Wilcox is 39-years-old and has served as the defensive coordinator at Boise State, Tennessee, Washington and the past two seasons at USC. He will now take the position of former UW defensive coordinator Dave Aranda, who left to take the same position at Louisiana State University in early January.

https://badgerherald.com/sports/2016/01/01/football-uw-defensive-coordinator-dave-aranda-leaves-for-lsu/

As the Trojans’ defensive coordinator last season, Wilcox coached a unit that finished 50th in the nation in points allowed per game (25.7) and 65th in total defense, allowing 400.8 yards per game. The unit also was 93rd ranked pass defense and 41st against the run. Wilcox was fired following the team’s 41-22 loss to Stanford in the Pac-12 title game.

Wilcox will now inherit Wisconsin’s best scoring defense from the 2015 season, as the unit gave up just 13.7 points per game. They also ranked second in total defense, giving up just 268.5 total yards per game last year.