Football: Erickson, Marz selected to All-Big Ten offensive teams

Fumagalli, Deiter earn honorable mentions
Jason Chan

It was a suitable ending for one of University of Wisconsin’s most productive wide receivers to ever play in Camp Randall stadium, as fifth-year senior Alex Erickson was officially selected to the first-team All-Big Ten offensive team by the media and the second-team by the conference’s coaches Tuesday.

Erickson recorded 72 catches — 38 more than the next highest UW player and second-most in the Big Ten — for a team-high 924 yards and three touchdowns this season. His efforts gave life to a sometimes struggling Wisconsin passing attack. Erickson will need just six more catches in his final game to match the school’s single-season reception record of 78.

For his career, the wideout has totalled 136 catches, 1,823 yards and six touchdowns while serving as the clear-cut No. 1 wideout for Wisconsin over the course of the past two seasons.

In addition to Erickson, fifth-year senior left tackle linemen Tyler Marz was selected to the second-team by the media and third-team by the coaches.

For the entire season, Marz served as the cornerstone of an offensive line that has been plagued by youth and injuries, and was honored as an All-Big Ten player for the third consecutive year, as he was an honorable mention in 2013 and 2014. Since the 2013 season, Marz has started 39 consecutive games as a left tackle for UW.

Both players began their careers as walk-ons, and they will now have one last opportunity in the team’s bowl game to prove their worth in what has been an otherwise disappointing season for Wisconsin.

https://badgerherald.com/sports/2015/11/30/football-senior-linebacker-joe-schobert-wins-big-tens-top-linebacker-award/

Honorable mentions

Sophomore tight end Troy Fumagalli earned honorable mention for his work in place of starting tight end Austin Traylor, who missed five games with a broken right arm.

Fumagalli caught 26 balls for 277 yards and a touchdown, proving his potential to be a reliable starting tight end for the team next season.

Redshirt freshman offensive lineman Michael Deiter also earned honorable mention from the media, as he started all 12 games on Wisconsin’s line as both a guard and center.