Football: T.J. Watt makes impact any way he can for Badgers

Youngest Watt brother has played defensive line after entering college as a tight end
Jason Chan

Glance at the Wisconsin football team’s depth chart, and No. 42’s last name looks familiar.

That’s because the number belongs to T.J. Watt, the youngest brother of former UW standout and now NFL star J.J., as well as brother of the Badgers’ fullback Derek.

Watt came into college as a tight end out of Pewaukee High School in Pewaukee, Wisconsin. But Watt saw no time there, and as his redshirt sophomore season approached, UW head coach Paul Chryst wanted to find a way for Watt to get on the field.

Watt used the 2013 season to redshirt and missed the entire following year with a knee injury.

So Chryst approached Watt before training camp began and asked if he’d be interested in moving to outside linebacker.

Watt deliberated the switch internally and with his family and went on YouTube to search defensive highlight montages. That was the kicker, he said.

“I was like, ‘Man, that’s what I want to do. That’s the mentality I want to have,'” Watt said.

He texted Chryst right away. He was game with the move, and it was time to get work.

Watt spent training camp learning outside linebacker, but he’s found consistent playing time in defensive coordinator Dave Aranda’s scheme as a down lineman in the unit’s “Peso” Package.

The 2-4-5 formation is featured on third down, with the two linemen’s goal to simply get after the quarterback.

That’s something Watt can get down with.

“It’s a lot of fun knowing you have no responsibilities except getting after the quarterback,” Watt said. “It’s always a blast and one of these days I’m gonna get there.”

Watt tallied his first marks on the stat sheet against Miami (Ohio), when he assisted on a tackle for loss. Against Nebraska Oct. 10, he recorded a career-high two tackles.

Each week, Watt becomes more comfortable on defense, he said. He’s a big fan of being aggressive while also reacting to other people’s movements, he said.

With weight differences sometimes reaching 50 to 60 pounds from the Big Ten offensive linemen he lines up against Saturdays, Watt said he uses his technique and explosiveness to offset the size disadvantage.

But it wouldn’t matter who he is going against. All Watt wants is to be out on the field.

“It’s been nice just to get out on the field and help the team out in any way possible,” Watt said. “Playing outside, if it’s playing d-line, any way to help the team out on third downs or whether it’s just regular base packages.”