Football: O-line shuffles continue for Badgers

Redshirt freshman Beau Benzschawel expected to take over full-time at right tackle
Dan+Voltz+%2870%29+protects+Joel+Stave+from+the+Iowa+pass+rush+earlier+this+season.+
Dan Voltz (70) protects Joel Stave from the Iowa pass rush earlier this season.

For the fourth time in six games this season, the Wisconsin football team trotted out a different offensive line combination to start a game.

This time, Walker Williams started at right guard and redshirt freshman Beau Benzschawel started at tackle in the first game he was available this season.

“I think, for the most part, the offensive line has done a great job of sticking together,” quarterback Joel Stave said. “Especially at the right side. They’ve kind of been shuffled around a little bit.”

Bumbaca: Gaglianone, offense take 2015 season off life support

The season started with redshirt freshman Micah Kapoi at right guard and Williams at right tackle. When Williams went down with an ankle injury, redshirt sophomore Hayden Biegel hopped in, platooning time with redshirt freshman Jacob Maxwell.

The ability to mix and match nearly every week has impressed Stave.

“The offensive line has done a great job rolling with the injuries, rolling with the ups and downs and staying consistent,” Stave said.

But now Benzschawel, who was on track to earn the starting job before a knee injury cost him the majority of fall camp, looks to have earned his spot back.

UW head coach Paul Chryst complimented Benzschawel’s work ethic during his time off, which got him in good enough shape to play the full 60 minutes.

“Beau did a nice job of all the work prior to it, so that he was able to go the distance,” Chryst said.

Center Dan Voltz sprained his left ankle on the last Wisconsin play during scrimmage Saturday. If he can’t play against Purdue this week, expect redshirt freshman Michael Deiter to slide in and play center (something he did all of spring ball) and Kapoi and Williams to man the guard positions.

In that scenario, Stave said, he’d definitely be comfortable taking snaps from Deiter, although he’s never worked with him in-game.

As for how this unit is capable of handling it, Chryst said the majority of the line’s inexperience helps.

“A lot of this group doesn’t know any different, and so, how are they handling it? They don’t have the comparative to it,” Chryst said. “And I think that that’s just the hand you’re dealt, and I think the guys have been helpful to each other.”