Men’s Soccer: UW clashes with Marquette in I-94 rivalry

Marquette won last year’s meeting 2-0

The Wisconsin men’s soccer team returns home this Wednesday in search of a first win on home turf as they battle in-state rival Marquette.

The Badgers (2-7-1 overall, 1-1-1 Big Ten) arrived back in Madison with a hard-earned 3-3 tie in double overtime against Big Ten foe Michigan. Wisconsin has been road warriors this season, posting a 2-2-1 record away from Madison, but has gone winless at the McClimon through five home games this campaign.

The Golden Eagles come to Madison for the final game of a four-game road stretch. Marquette (3-4-2 overall, 0-1-1 Big East) has yet to pick up a win on the road trip, tying St. John’s 0-0 and dropping their previous two matches 4-2 and 2-1 to Notre Dame and Villanova, respectively.

Pride will be on the line between these two teams, as the I-94 rivalry always produces an intense match from UW and MU.

Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. Wednesday at McClimon Complex.

Wisconsin’s key to victory: Don’t concede multiple goals

With three goals scored by Michigan, three by UW-Green Bay, four by Maryland and two by SIUE, the Badgers have been picking the ball out of the back of their own net a lot in recent games, which helps explain their 0-3-1 record in that four game stretch.

The defense has been solid at times, but it has had moments of mental lapses that have resulted in conceding multiple goals in small stretches of the game — Michigan scored three goals in six minutes against UW. Goalkeeper Adrian Remeniuk and the rest of the backline will need to produce a stellar defensive performance and concede one goal or less. If they do so, UW might finally notch a home victory.

Marquette player to watch: James “C.” Nortey

The senior forward from Ghana has played a vital role for the Marquette squad during his four years in navy and gold. Nortey tallied both goals for MU in the meeting with Wisconsin last year in Milwaukee. Nortey lead the Golden Eagles in goals scored for the 2014 season, and he’s currently second on the team in points with eight this year. The Badgers will have to shut down Nortey’s offensive prowess if they want to notch a big win over an in-state rival.