Men’s soccer breakdown: Maryland 4, Wisconsin 1

Badgers remain winless at home
Laena Carroll

The No. 11 ranked Maryland Terrapins (4-2-3 overall, 1-0-2 in Big Ten) proved to be a task too tall for the Wisconsin men’s soccer team on Sunday as the Badgers fell 4-1.

The Badgers (2-6-0, 1-1-0) were unable to cope with the constant attacking threat of the Terps. Wisconsin finally scored its first goal at home this season thanks to Tom Barlow, but it was never going to be enough.

Wisconsin will hit the pitch next when it takes on the Phoenix of UW-Green Bay Wednesday night at the McClimon Complex.

House of Blues

The struggles of playing at home continue to plague the Badgers. After four home games this season, Wisconsin is yet to claim a first home victory. Finding the back of the net has also been a problem for UW. Although they netted for the first time against Maryland, the Badgers are going to need to score some more goals at home if they want to finally pick up a win in Madison.

Barlow is Back

The sophomore forward scored his first goal of the season for the Badgers. Barlow, who led UW in goals scored last season with five, has had a difficult start to the 2015 campaign, but hopefully bagging a goal with get his confidence back.

Freshman Firepower

The Terrapins standout freshman recruit Sebastian Elney is proving his worth. Following a two-goal performance against the Badgers, with the second one coming off a beautiful redirected header, Elney has now upped his goal tally to six for the season already.

The Missing Link

Sophomore midfielder Mike Catalano missed his second straight match for the Badgers. After tweaking his quad in training last week Monday, Catalano has been unable to suit up for UW, and his presence has certainly been missed during this two-game losing skid.

Player of the Game: Maryland midfielder Mael Corboz

The senior midfielder for the Terps was an ever-present menace all match long. Corboz scored a stunning goal from 25 yards out, which at the time put Maryland up 2-0. He would later turn provider as he took a free kick and picked up the assist for the header that made it 3-1 for the Terps.

Quotable

UW senior captain Drew Connor on the huge fan turnout:

“It was awesome. Having that many people there really pumped us up. I think it was probably one of the biggest attendances since I’ve been here.”

Conner on playing a nationally-ranked team like Maryland:

“I definitely think it’s a reality check. Playing a top ranked team like that, we got exposed in a lot of areas, and we know what we need to work on in training.”

UW sophomore forward Tom Barlow on finally scoring:

“It feels good. I was in a little bit of a drought in the beginning of the season. To finally get one in the back of the net feels good. Hopefully things start to keep rolling.”

Barlow on the team’s performance:

“I thought we competed, but we gotta clean up some mistakes and do a little bit better. They’re a top team, so hats off to them.”