Women’s soccer: Badgers return home after four-game road trip

UW hosts Indiana Friday night, Purdue Sunday

Coming off four consecutive road matches, the Wisconsin women’s soccer team returns home to take on two Big Ten foes this weekend: Indiana and Purdue.

After tying with University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Kentucky and Ohio State, and losing to Penn State, the Badgers (3-4-3) look to use the weekend to climb the Big Ten standings.

Game 1: vs. Indiana (3-3-4), Friday at 7 p.m.

Neither team has won a game in the Big Ten yet. Both teams are defensively strong, especially at the goalie position. Last year, Wisconsin beat Indiana on the road 1-0. In the past five seasons, Wisconsin has beaten Indiana four times, while Indiana has notched just one win in that span. The two teams have similar playing styles and both need a win against a Big Ten team to give a much-needed spark.

Wisconsin’s Key to Victory: Converting Shots on the Net

Wisconsin is shooting on the net far more than its opponents, and that’s a statistic the Badgers should keep up Friday.

UW is second in the Big Ten in shots on goal, with an average of 15.9 shots per game, yet is ranked in the lower half of the Big Ten in average scored goals per game, with just one goal per game. Junior midfielder Rose Lavelle leads the Badgers in shots on goal with 4.3 shots per game. If Wisconsin can convert shots on goal to scores on goal, the Badgers will have a chance to top the Hoosiers.

Opposing Player to Watch: Indiana goalkeeper Sarah Stone

Indiana has a solid defense across the backline, but fifth-year senior Sarah Stone rounds out a strong group in the back. She has had some inconsistencies throughout the season, but when she’s on fire, she is a force to be reckoned with. She has kept opponents from scoring in half of their games this season.

Stone is ranked first in the Big Ten for total saves, coming in at 4.6 saves per game and an 82.1 percent save-percentage. She has allowed just 11 goals in 11 games.

Game 2: vs. Purdue (6-3-0), Sunday, Sept. 27, at 3 p.m.

Sunday’s game between the Badgers and Boilermakers will show a clash of team styles in the center of the McClimon Complex. Wisconsin is a defensively-sound team, but Purdue is an offensive powerhouse in the Big Ten.

Sunday’s game is part of a double-header entitled “PAC the MAC,” in which fans are encouraged to watch the men play Maryland at noon, and the women play at 3 p.m.

Wisconsin’s Key to Victory: Slowing Down the Offense

Purdue and Wisconsin play very differently. Wisconsin keeps games low scoring and at a slower pace than the Boilermakers. Wisconsin averages only one goal per game, whereas Purdue averages two goals per game.

Wisconsin must shut down the Purdue offense if the Badgers want to win. Purdue stresses the team aspect of soccer. The Boilermakers are unselfish and share the ball well. They have four players ranked highly in the conference in assists. Purdue averages 2.22 assists (the best in the Big Ten) per game.

Opponent Player to Watch: Maddy Williams

While Maddy Williams is not the highest-scoring player on Purdue’s roster, she is one of the most consistent. Williams has scored six goals on 22 shots so far this season, making her one of the most efficient players for Purdue and the Big Ten this season. She is versatile, fast and helps her teammates on the field. She ranks fourth in assists for Purdue (0.33 assists per game). If she is shooting on the net, the Badgers should be attentive because Williams will convert shots to scores.