Football: Top-five most memorable night games at Camp Randall

Upset victories, dramatic wins in games under the lights in Madison
Via Flickr User William Prost

For the majority of the student body, Saturday night’s game against Hawaii will be the first time University of Wisconsin students experience a night game.

Here are five memorable night games in Wisconsin football history to refresh your memory:

1. Oct. 17, 2010: Wisconsin 31, Ohio State 16

No. 18 Wisconsin took control of the game from the very start, as David Gilreath returned the opening kickoff 97 yards for a touchdown and put quarterback Terrelle Pryor and the No. 1 Ohio State in a hole before they could even blink. The Buckeyes never recovered, as UW was able to pull away with a victory behind running back John Clay’s 104 rushing yards and two touchdowns.

But what made this game most memorable was the scene afterwards when the entire student section stormed the field following the upset with the lights of Camp Randall shining down on them.

2. Oct. 2, 2011: Wisconsin 48, Nebraska 17

It was a game of firsts. Not only was it quarterback Russell Wilson’s first true test of his lone season as a Badger, but it was also No. 8 Nebraska’s first Big Ten game since joining the conference.

No. 7 Wisconsin did not give the Cornhuskers a very warm welcome — behind Wilson’s 225 passing yards and two touchdowns on top of 151 rushing yards and four scores from Montee Ball, the Badgers steamrolled Nebraska with ease. It was a win that kickstarted one of the more memorable seasons in Wisconsin football history.

3. Sept. 16, 2012: Wisconsin 16, Utah State 14

Gary Andersen coached his first game at Camp Randall that night, but for the visiting team.

A week after the then-No. 13 Badgers lost to unranked Oregon State, they came home to Camp Randall ranked No. 22 in the nation.

After a slow first half that ended with the Badgers trailing 14-3 to the Aggies, Kenzel Doe energized the Badgers with a 82-yard punt return for a touchdown, followed by a 17-yard Montee Ball run for a score that set up the dramatic final seconds of the game.

With the Badgers leading 16-14 in the final seconds, the Aggies lined up for a 37-yard field goal. Josh Thompson pushed it just wide-right and the Badgers held on for the win in dramatic fashion.

4. Aug. 23, 2002: Wisconsin 23, Fresno State 21

The No. 25 Badgers held off the Bulldogs, who had beaten the Badgers in Madison the year prior.

Matt Allen kicked a game winning field goal from 34 yards out with 2:05 left in the fourth quarter. Jim Leonhard made his first career start for the Badgers, and had two interceptions and a game-sealing pass breakup late in the fourth quarter. Anthony Davis rushed 36 times for 184 yards and fullback Matt Bernstein found the end zone twice in the victory.

5. Oct. 10, 1998: Wisconsin 31, Purdue 24

The No. 12 Badgers withstood a strong performance from then-Boilermaker quarterback Drew Brees, who tied the NCAA record that night with 55 completions, and threw for 494 yards.

The Wisconsin defense picked off Brees four times that night, though, including one each by freshmen cornerbacks Mike Echols and Jamar Fletcher, who took his pick all the way for a score. The win put the Badgers at 6-0 on the season, a campaign that would end with a Rose Bowl victory.