Volleyball: No. 13 Badgers gear up for ACC challenge

Joey Reuteman

After a disappointing second place finish in the HotelRed Invitational, the Wisconsin volleyball team will travel to Louisville, Kentucky, to participate in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge over the weekend.

Sophomore-transfer Lauryn Gillis eased her way into the Badgers’ squad and delivered three solid performances this past weekend, while Haleigh Nelson provided support in the middle. Expect stability in the Badgers’ play as they have more experience under their belts.

Head coach Kelly Sheffield is expecting some tough competition against upcoming opponents North Carolina and Louisville. But with the efforts he felt his young team give this past week, he believes some hard work is all they will need to win.

“This coming weekend we’ve got a heck of a challenge with a North Carolina team, one of the top programs in the country,” Sheffield said. “Then Louisville, who we are expecting to be another elite team. We’re going to watch some film this afternoon and then get back to the practice gym shortly afterwards.”

North Carolina

The Tar Heels features five seniors in their starting lineup, led by 6-foot-1 outside hitter Leigh Andrew. Andrew, who averages 3.1 kills per set, is part of a contingent of players who helped North Carolina to the quarterfinals of last season’s NCAA Tournament and an ACC Championship.

They posted an impressive 29-3 record in 2014, going on a 20 game win-streak at one point. Currently the No. 18 team in the nation after losses to No. 8 University of Southern California and No. 12 Brigham Young University this past weekend, the Tar Heels will be playing with a chip on their shoulders.

Their experienced backcourt will help to keep the Badgers’ explosive attack at bay. North Carolina averages 13.6 digs per set, but their true skill sits in their front court, with a front-line that averages 3.2 blocks per set and 11.9 kills per set.

For Wisconsin to be successful, spreading kills among outside hitters will be key in order to fool North Carolina’s talented front-line.

Louisville

Louisville is coming off an unimpressive 15-15 season in 2014 which included a 0-3 loss to the Badgers as part of this same challenge.

The Cardinals began 2015 with a 0-3 loss to No. 6 Illinois, but quickly rebounded against both Creighton and Miami (Ohio).

Though Louisville does not present nearly the same challenge which North Carolina does, Sheffield’s Badgers will still have to be efficient to win.

Senior Erin Fairs and redshirt junior Janelle Jenkins, both outside hitters, lead Louisville with 3.83 kills per set. While freshman Molly Sauer leads the backcourt with 3.92 digs per set.

Ten Cardinals players are either freshman or sophomores.

Louisville’s offense sputtered in their season opener against Illinois when they registered only 38 kills and a .131 attack percentage.