Football: Four-Star recruit Stevenson denied admission to UW, granted release

Paul+Chryst+
Jason Chan
Paul Chryst

Wisconsin football recruit Jordan Stevenson was denied admission to the university Thursday and will be granted his release Friday morning, according to a report from 247sports.com.

Head coach Paul Chryst and running backs coach John Settle informed the four-star running back earlier Thursday he didn’t get into the school, the report said.

Stevenson’s release will become official Friday morning, and he can sign with any school he desires.

https://twitter.com/Jordanstevie2/status/624393707198877696?lang=en

Stevenson, a Dallas, Texas native and South Oak Cliff product, received Scout.com’s No. 84 overall ranking in the country in the 2015 class, and would have been Wisconsin’s highest-rated recruit this season.

The Badgers still have Bradrick Shaw, a three-star running back out of Hoover, Alabama, and he will now be the lone incoming running back in this class.

https://badgerherald.com/sports/2015/02/05/get-to-know-the-wisconsin-football-recruiting-class-of-2015/

The Badgers still have depth at running back, with Corey Clement taking over the starting role and Dare Ogunbowale, Taiwan Deal and Serge Trezy also listed on the depth chart.

Stevenson won’t be the only original Class of 2015 member missing at Wisconsin. The Badgers also lost three-star quarterback recruit Austin Kaftenzis, who transferred to Nevada, after it became clear during spring practices that fellow incoming freshman quarterback Alex Hornibrook would outrank him on the depth chart.

Admissions standards at Wisconsin are among the toughest in the nation for incoming student-athletes, and the requirements have received a lot of attention over the last few months.

The standards are  the main reason why former football head coach Gary Andersen bolted Madison for Oregon State this past December.

The UW football program places emphasis on academics. Two months ago, the team received the highest Academic Progress Rate in the country, beating schools like Stanford, Duke and Michigan.

https://badgerherald.com/sports/2015/05/27/final-grades-might-not-be-best-on-field-but-wisconsin-football-no-1-in-classroom/

Wisconsin opens up its season against SEC powerhouse Alabama Sept. 5.