Men’s basketball: Fans pack the Kohl Center, line streets to see team off to Indianapolis

Mens basketball: Fans pack the Kohl Center, line streets to see team off to Indianapolis
Jenna Freeman

A sea of red anxiously waited outside the door of the Kohl Center Wednesday afternoon, staking out spots to ensure good seats at the men’s basketball send off celebration.

As they were filing in, the final minutes of the Badgers’ Elite Eight victory over Arizona played on the scoreboard above mid-court. This was the reaction when junior forward Sam Dekker’s three-pointer in the final minute hit nothing but net.

The band started playing and everybody was having a grand ol’ time.

Then Bucky joined in on the fun.

Would the team rip-roar through a paper sign and come hooting and hollering out of the tunnel? Absolutely not. Swag walks only.

Dekker, fifth-year senior guard Josh Gasser, senior forward Frank Kaminsky and senior guard Traevon Jackson each had a turn at the microphone while on stage before it the microphone turned over to head coach Bo Ryan. And just as swaggy as they appeared, the Badgers disappeared back toward the locker room to pack their things and head to Indianapolis.