Men’s basketball breakdown: Wisconsin vs. Coastal Carolina

Max Siker/Badger Nation

The No. 1-seed Wisconsin men’s basketball team began its official campaign for a return trip to the Final Four Friday night in Omaha, Nebraska against No. 16-seed Coastal Carolina. No 16-seed has ever beating a No. 1 seed in the NCAA men’s basketball tournament and that remained the case as the Badgers ran away from the Chanticleers 86-72.

Here’s our game breakdown:

Recap

Except for a few brief seconds early in the first half, No. 1 Wisconsin was in control for the majority of the game against the 16-seed Coastal Carolina Friday night in the second round of the NCAA tournament as the Badgers coasted their way to an 86-72 win over the Chanticleers.

Wisconsin will take on the eight-seed Oregon Sunday for a trip to the Sweet 16 in Los Angeles on the line.

Big Ten Player of the Year Frank Kaminsky scored a game-high 27 points on 10-for-14 shooting with 12 rebounds and four assists for Wisconsin. Junior forward Sam Dekker added 20 points with two rebounds and sophomore forward Nigel Hayes chipped in 15 points with eight rebounds (seven offensive) and three assists.

The Badgers (32-3) had a 47-32 lead at halftime despite the Chanticleers shooting 83.3 percent (5-for-6) from three in the first half.

Wisconsin pushed its lead to 24 in the second half – its largest of the game – at 66-48 after a Kaminsky jumper with 3:42 left in the game. Coastal Carolina was never within single digits in the second half as the Badgers were on their way to the third round of the NCAA tournament for the third straight season.

Senior guard Warren Gillis led the Chanticleers with 22 points while sophomore guard Elijah Wilson came off the bench to score 20 points for Coastal Carolina.

The Chanticleers shot 58.3 percent (7-for-12) from 3-point for the game and 48.3 percent (28-for-38) overall for the game. The Badgers were 33-for-61 (54.1 percent) from the field as a team and 11-for-27 (40.7 percent) from three. Coastal Carolina came into Friday’s game with the third-best rebounding margin in the nation, but were outrebounded by Wisconsin 36-25.

Turning Point

The Badgers led for the majority of the game and the turning point of the game came pretty early. After Coastal Carolina’s Josh Cameron hit a jumper with 14:56 left in the first half to give the Chanticleers an early 8-7 lead, Kaminsky responded for the Badgers on the other end with a layup to give the lead right back to Wisconsin at 9-8. Coastal Carolina would not hold the lead for the rest of the game as the Badgers cruised to their program-record 32nd win of the season.

Max Siker

When You Knew It Was Over

When the ball was tipped? A 16-seed has never beaten a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament, so the Chanticleers had pretty insurmountable odds before the game even started. But you knew this one was over when the Badgers finished the first half on a 19-8 run to take a 47-32 lead at halftime.

With 6:44 left in the opening half, Wilson knocked home a jumper to cut Wisconsin’s lead to four at 28-24. But from there, the Badgers went on the 19-8 run that blew open the game. Hayes scored eight of Wisconsin’s points during that stretch and finished the first half with 13 points.

Wisconsin Player of the Game

It has to be Kaminsky who scored a game-high 27 points with 12 rebounds, four assists and a block in 36 minutes of action. Kaminsky was able to attack the small frontcourt of Coastal Carolina, going 10-for-14 from the floor and 3-for-5 from three. The seven-footer was also 4-for-5 from the free-throw line.

Max Siker

Coastal Carolina Player of the Game

Gillis was the Chanticleers’ best player Friday night, scoring a team-high 22 points on 10 of 19 shooting with five rebounds, an assist and a steal in 34 minutes.

Wilson earns co-Player of the Game for the Chanticleers with his 20-point performance. He was 4-for-4 from three and 7-for-11 from the floor for Coastal Carolina.

Key Stats

– Wisconsin attempted 17 threes in the first half, making eight of them, while Coastal Carolina hit five of its six three-point attempts in the opening half. Neither team shot above 33.3 percent from beyond the arc in the second half.

– The Chanticleers committed only six turnovers for the game while the Badgers turned the ball over nine times.

– Three players for each team scored in double figures. Kaminsky (27), Dekker (20) and Hayes (15) eclipsed the 10-point mark for Wisconsin whiles Gillis (22), Wilson (20) and Josh Cameron (11) hit double figures for Coastal Carolina. The trio of Kaminsky, Dekker and Hayes combined to score 62 of Wisconsin’s 86 points Friday with 22 rebounds.

– The Badgers had three players shoot 50 percent or above from three against the Chanticleers. Dekker was 4-for-8, Kaminsky was 3-for-5 and redshirt senior guard Josh Gasser was 1-for-2 from beyond the arc.

– Wisconsin assisted on 14 of its 33 baskets while Coastal Carolina dished out nine assists for the game.

– The Badgers shots over 50 percent in both halves, going 17-for-31 (54.8 percent) in the first half and 16-for-30 (53.3 percent) in the second half. It was the first time Wisconsin had shot over 54 percent over the course of the game since its win over Indiana on Feb. 3.

Next Game

Wisconsin will take on Oregon in the Round of 32 in Omaha Sunday night. Oregon defeated Oklahoma State 79-73 Friday night. Tip-off between the Badgers and Ducks is scheduled for 6:45 p.m. on truTV.