Former Wisconsin linebacker Borland announces sudden retirement from the NFL

Badger Herald File Photo

Former Wisconsin linebacker Chris Borland announced his sudden retirement from the NFL Monday night to “Outside the Lines” after just one season in the league, citing “concerns about the long-term effects of repetitive head trauma.”

“I just honestly want to do what’s best for my health. From what I’ve researched and what I’ve experienced, I don’t think it’s worth the risk,” Borland told “Outside the Lines”.

The 24-year-old later added that he remains in good health and is simply looking out for his future. Borland said he made the decision after talking with family, friends and concussion experts in addition to current and past teammates.

“I feel largely the same, as sharp as I’ve ever been. For me, it’s wanting to be proactive,” Borland said. “I’m concerned that if you wait till you have symptoms, it’s too late. … There are a lot of unknowns. I can’t claim that X will happen. I just want to live a long healthy life, and I don’t want to have any neurological diseases or die younger than I would otherwise.”

Borland, who had experienced just two concussions in his lifetime – in eighth grade and during his sophomore year of high school – had a strong rookie season with the San Francisco 49ers in 2014 after being selected in the third round of the 2014 NFL Draft. He played in 14 games, starting eight of those, recording 107 tackles, two interceptions and a sack. He was named the NFL Rookie of the Week in Weeks 10 and 11 and was the Defensive Rookie of the Month in November.

The announcement came as a surprise as not only did Borland have a stellar rookie season, but he was primed to be a starter for the upcoming season after 49er-great Patrick Willis announced his retirement.

The 49ers confirmed Borland’s decision and sent their well-wishes to their former linebacker.

“While unexpected, we certainly respect Chris’ decision,” team general manager Trent Baalke said in a statement. “From speaking with Chris, it was evident that he had put a great deal of thought into this decision. He was a consummate professional from day one and a very well respected member of our team and community. Chris is a determined young man that overcame long odds in his journey to the NFL and we are confident he will use the same approach to become very successful in his future endeavors. We will always consider him a 49er and wish him all the best.”

In his senior season at Wisconsin, Borland was named the Big Ten’s Defensive Player of the Year and Linebacker of the Year. The Kettering, Ohio native was also a first-team All-American during his final season at Wisconsin.

According to ESPN, Borland will return to school to potentially pursue a degree in sports management. Borland graduated from Wisconsin with a degree in history.