Wisconsin snags No. 1 NCAA Tournament seed for first time ever

Jason Chan

For the first time ever, the Wisconsin men’s basketball team will be a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament.

The NCAA Tournament Selection Committee’s choice of Wisconsin (31-3) as the top seed came Sunday after the Badgers’ 80-69 win over Michigan State in the Big Ten tournament championship game.

The Badgers are the No. 1 seed in the West Regional and will play the 16 seed, Coastal Carolina, the winners of the Big South conference in the second round of the tournament in Omaha, Nebraska at CenturyLink Center on Friday. The winner of that game will advance to the third round and take on the winner of No. 8 Oregon and No. 9 Oklahoma State.

If Wisconsin were to advance past the first weekend of games, the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight for the West Regional will be held at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

The still undefeated Kentucky Wildcats earned the No. 1 overall seed in the tournament and will play in the Midwest Regional. Villanova (East) and Duke (South) round out the four teams earning No. 1 seeds in this year’s tournament.

Here is the breakdown of the entire bracket.

NCAA.com