Women’s hockey: Badgers travel to North Dakota with spot in WCHA championship on line

The Wisconsin women’s hockey team will travel to Grand Forks, N.D. this weekend for its WCHA Final Face-Off matchup with the University of North Dakota.

After beating St. Cloud State last weekend in the first round of the conference playoffs, Wisconsin head coach Mark Johnson said he still wants to learn more about his team.

“You find out about your team, to me, over this two week period in the WCHA playoffs and if they’re worthy of taking that next step,” Johnson said. “We took the first step by beating St. Cloud in back-to-back games and now it’s an opportunity to go up and play in a semi-final game knowing that if you lose, you’re going to come home.

“So it really sets the stage for that playoff atmosphere where, if you’re not successful, that part of the season is going to be over. Obviously our body of work is going to give us an opportunity to play another game after this weekend, but anytime you get a chance to compete for a championship, it’s a good thing.”

The Badgers (26-6-4, 19-6-3 WCHA) have found success in the past three games through scoring goals early to jump ahead and build confidence throughout each game.

In the first game of the St. Cloud State series, the Badgers scored four of their five goals in the first period and scored two in the first period of the second game.

“I think when we go up one or two goals, we can completely deflate the life in their building,” sophomore forward Sarah Nurse said. “I think if we bring a lot of energy, that’s what we can do.”

Wisconsin got the unlucky draw of playing North Dakota (22-11-3, 16-9-3), the host team in the WCHA Final Face-Off, making this a true road game for the second seed in the conference.

North Dakota is currently ranked eighth in the most recent USCHO national rankings.

The challenge will not be easy, as North Dakota has been playing some of their best hockey of the season, Johnson said. UND is currently riding a six-game win streak.

“The last four or five weekends, North Dakota has played well, certainly played well at home, beat Minnesota in their own barn,” Johnson said. “So the task we have in front of us is going to be challenging, and certainly we’re going to have to play a quality game to come away with a victory Saturday afternoon.”

The series will be huge for North Dakota because a loss Saturday could prevent them from getting an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.

“For their seniors, they don’t want this to happen, where you end up losing and your season is over and you wake up the next morning and you’re no longer a college hockey player,” Johnson said. “It’s a fun time of year, and certainly we’re going to run into a little bit of a hornet’s nest Saturday.”

The Badgers will most likely make the NCAA Tournament, but with a strong performance this weekend, Wisconsin could solidify their third overall ranking in the country.

If the Badgers defeat North Dakota, they will play for the WCHA Championship against the winner of Minnesota and Bemidji State Saturday.

“We’re trying to not think ahead past Saturday’s game. It’s hard to do that,” Wisconsin senior forward Brittany Ammerman said. “We will just take it each period at a time, especially the seniors on this team. We are trying to grasp every moment and try to end this season on a winning note. I think Saturday’s game will prep us well for whatever comes next.”

Quick Facts

Who: Wisconsin (26-6-4 overall) at North Dakota (22-11-3)

Where: Grand Forks, N.D.

When: Saturday, March 7, 5 p.m.

Wisconsin Players to Watch:

Annie Pankowski – 37 points, 18 G, 19 A

Karley Sylvester – 35 points, 12 G, 23 A

Brittany Ammerman – 34 points, 12 G, 22 A

North Dakota Players to Watch:

Meghan Dufault – 31 points, 11 G, 20 A

Becca Kohler – 30 points, 11 G, 19 A

Amy Menke – 28 points, 15 G, 13 A