Women’s basketball hopes to get back on right track at Nebraska Sunday

Jason Chan

The Wisconsin women’s basketball team has lost six of its last seven games following a 93-82 loss at Minnesota Wednesday night, but will take to the road with a chance to shift the losing momentum when they take on Nebraska Sunday.

It will be the second matchup between the Badgers (8-15 , 4-9 Big Ten) and the Cornhuskers (17-6, 7-5 Big Ten) this season, with Nebraska winning the first game 89-72.

Here’s what you need to know:

Wisconsin

Despite its losing ways, Wisconsin has scored 74.3 points per game in their last six games, winning only one of those. On the season, Wisconsin averages 63.5 points per game, which is 13th in the Big Ten.

The recent offensive success can be attributed to the play of the three starting junior guards, Nicole Bauman, Dakota Whyte and Tessa Cichy.

Bauman was 6-for-8 from three Wednesday at Minnesota, scoring 22 points. She’s now shooting 47.3 percent from downtown, which leads the Big Ten and is fourth in the nation.

Whyte had career-highs in points (20) and assists (10) for her first career double double against Minnesota, and sophomore forward Malayna Johnson had a career-high 14 points off the bench.

Cichy added 12 points in the loss, but has scored in double-digits in six of the last seven games.

Despite the offensive success, the Badgers have had difficulty stopping their opponents on the other end of the court. Wisconsin gives up 67.7 points per game, which is 10th in the conference. However, during their recent slide, Wisconsin has allowed 78 points per contest.

Nebraska

While Wisconsin continues to struggle defensively, Nebraska claims the top defense in the league, allowing 58.7 points per game. They hold their opponents to shooting 37 percent per contest.

The Cornhuskers are led by guard Rachel Theriot, who averages 16.5 points per game. Theriot was a non-factor against the Badgers in the team’s Jan. 22 win over Wisconsin, scoring 11 points and going 4 of 17 from the field.

The Cornhuskers’ Tear’a Laudermill torched the Badgers in that game, scoring 18 of her 24 points in the first half, leaving little chance for a Wisconsin comeback. She is second on the team in scoring, averaging 13.5 points per game.

With five of its six losses coming in conference play, Nebraska is in seventh place in the Big Ten.

Who — Wisconsin vs. No. 22 Nebraska

Where — Pinnacle Bank Arena

When — Sunday, Feb. 15, 2 p.m.

Wisconsin (8-15, 4-9 Big Ten)

Last time out: 93-82 loss at Minnesota

Starters (stats as of Feb. 8): G – Dakota Whyte (10.3 ppg), G – Nicole Bauman (14.2 ppg), G – Tessa Cichy (8.6 ppg), F – Jacki Gulczynski (8.9 ppg), F – Cassie Rochel (6.6 ppg)

Key Reserves: F – Ann Marie Brown, F – Malayna Johnson, G – Cayla McMorris

Nebraska (17-6, 7-5 Big Ten)

Last time out: Lost to Iowa at home Thursday, 69-61

Starters (stats as of Feb. 12): G – Rachel Theriot (16.5 ppg), G – Brandi Jeffrey (7.4 ppg), G – Tear’a Laudermill (13.5 ppg), F – Hallie Sample (7.4 ppg), F – Emily Cady (12. 2 ppg)

Key Reserves: G – Chandler Smith, G – Natalie Romero, C – Allie Havers