Former, current Badgers players react to Chryst’s hiring

Former, current Badgers players react to Chrysts hiring
Jason Chan

Most people surrounding the Wisconsin football team knew that Paul Chryst would be named head coach Wednesday, but the news couldn’t be made official until Wednesday evening.

When Athletic Director Barry Alvarez finally introduced Chryst at the news conference, the announcement drew high acclaim from former Badgers and current NFL players who played under Chryst. Among them were quarterbacks Russell Wilson and Scott Tolzien and offensive linemen Travis Frederick and Joe Thomas.

Chryst, who coached at UW-Platteville and spent his high school football days playing for the Platteville Hillmen, also received a warm welcome from Bo Ryan, who coached at UW-Platteville before becoming the Wisconsin men’s basketball head coach.

Several current UW football players were also on hand at the introductory news conference, including Corey Clement and Derek Watt and weighed in on the rollercoaster that has been the last seven days.

“Everything happens for a reason I believe,” Clement said of Andersen’s decision to leave UW. “He came into my home and he was open-armed. I can’t really hate him, the decision he made. Everything happens, so I’m just going to move on from there. It’s all about prepping for next year.

“It was kind of confusing, shocking just somewhat of a disappointment. Just the way coach [Andersen] talks to his players, you feel so close to him. It was sad to see him go. I’m a man of my own. I’m just going to move on. I know my team is right behind me as well.”

Watt added how shocking the Andersen’s decision was when he told the team last Wednesday afternoon, although he said the team is “just worried about winning the next game.”

“We were just kind of caught off guard,” Watt said. “No one really knew what was going on. I didn’t have a short list by any means. I could care less who they brought in. I just want to play for someone who wants to be here.”

But although the last week put Clement, Watt and the other players in a difficult spot, the quick turnaround with naming a new coach in just seven days shifted the morale for the better.

“It’s all great. I’m happy that coach Chryst is actually here, so it’s kind of cool. It’s all bringing back smiles to me,” Clement said. “I was in a down period, but once I got a chance to actually reconnect with him, it kind of felt good to actually know that, from what I heard, he likes to run a lot first and pass second.”

Chryst’s demeanor during his press conference also left a strong first impression on Watt.

“Some of the things he said, it really meant a lot just to know how much he really cares about the players,” Watt said. “Coming back home … he’s really excited about it, and I think he truly is, and I look forward to working with him.”