Leadership one of Conner’s strongest traits for men’s soccer team

As of late, Wisconsin men’s soccer head coach John Trask has gotten some big-time names to come play for him at UW. But with 12 new freshmen on this year’s squad, a lot of those names have departed from the program that Trask once brought to UW.

However, at least one name still rings strongly, and that name may just be the most important for this year’s team as well as next year’s.

A native of Cary, Illinois, junior midfielder Drew Conner is overflowing with talent, athleticism and character. Conner came into the 2014 season ranked as the 73rd-best player in Division 1 men’s college soccer according to Top Drawer Soccer, but he has been a contributor for this Badger team since he came in as a freshman in 2012.

In his freshman year, Conner earned Big Ten All-Freshman honors, starting 18 games for the team, registering two goals and one assist. In his sophomore year, he picked up right where he left off, starting in all 21 games, recording one goal and seven assists on his way to earning Second-Team All-Big Ten honors.

Now, in his junior year, Conner serves as one of three captains on a team that is working to integrate 12 new players into the mix. With that, there isn’t just pressure for Conner to continue to perform on the field, but also be a leader and serve as a link from the players to the coach.

“He’s stepped into a leadership role as a captain, which is never easy for a junior,” Trask said. “There is extra pressure with leadership, and now he is a connection to the team through the coaching staff. We, as coaches, ask for his opinion on a lot of things; whether it is meals, dress on the road or what the guys like about this or that. We really rely on him and he’s also a guy that sets culture for the younger players.”

Going from being one of the younger guys on an experienced team last year to being put into such an important role on this year’s team is quite an adjustment and asks a lot of a player. Conner now, while continuing to work on his own game, must also be the ringleader in bringing all these new, young players together.

“He’s learning all the time and I think he would be the first to admit it,” Trask said. “Drew is a competitor, so this season has been tough on him, but I think he also realizes that the more work he puts into the culture and getting these guys to buy in to what he wants to do gives him a much better chance for this team to be successful.”

While still learning, Conner must also serve as a teacher.

Many of these young players, especially fellow midfielders like freshman Mike Catalano, are modeling their game and character after Conner. This puts added pressure on the junior to not only continue to perform for his own sake, but also for the sake of the younger players on the team.

“He’s a great midfielder and he’s a leader on the field mostly by example,” Catalano said. “He does a great job vocally too, but it’s the way he plays and the way he carries himself. It serves as a perfect model for the younger guys on the team.”

This past summer, as part of his learning, Conner got the opportunity to work, play and train with the Major League Soccer club the Chicago Fire. This was a very big opportunity for him, as he was able to gain the experience of having professionals teach him how to be a professional himself.

In training with the club, Conner was able to practice with the professional team and work with former Chicago Fire stars in C.J. Brown and Brian McBride, who is also a “U.S. soccer legend,” as Conner puts it. Both currently serve as coaches of the Fire.

Both these current and former players taught Conner a lot on what it truly means to be a professional.

“The way the guys prepare for a practice, it’s like they are preparing for a big game,” Conner said. “They come into the locker room early, really serious, they go in with the trainer and do everything super professionally. Every single pass they make, you can just tell, is hit with the right pace and it’s accurate, and I think that is what it takes to be a professional. It’s all about the details and getting every single little thing right.”

Conner will not only look to apply these things as he finishes his college career at Wisconsin, but also in whatever happens for him beyond college.

Being an elite soccer prospect, Conner is looking to pursue, and get a chance to fulfill, his life-long dream of playing professional soccer. He may not know when this will happen, but with Conner’s drive, he’s going to work until he gets the chance he feels he deserves.

“I’ve always wanted to be a professional player,” Conner said. “Whether that is with the [Chicago] Fire because I am a homegrown player, or whether it means going into the draft, I don’t know, but that is definitely my goal. I’m not sure when that will come or how it’s going to happen, but it’s definitely one of my personal goals.”

However, with the dream of playing in the MLS still a few years away, Conner knows what he needs to keep his focus on for the time being.

“Right now, it’s all about being the best captain I can be with this team and just trying to help us get wins,” Conner said. “We have an awesome freshmen class with a lot of confidence, so that is where my focus is.”