Why to watch Wisconsin’s spring football game

The Wisconsin football team will hold its annual spring game at Camp Randall Stadium Saturday at 3 p.m. And while at times a spring game can come off as a glorified practice, there are plenty of good reasons to tune in to the Big Ten Network or see the revamped Badgers for yourself this weekend.

Questions at Quarterback

The quarterback position has been a storyline since Gary Andersen came to Madison and continues to be a question mark heading into his second season at the helm. Joel Stave started every game for the Badgers under center as a sophomore last season, but did nothing to solidify his starting position for the 2014 season. And now, with Stave shut down for the remainder of spring with a right shoulder injury, the door is open for someone else to throw their name in the mix. Run-and-gun quarterbacks Tanner McCevoy and D.J. Gillins will have a chance to show off what they have to Wisconsin fans for the first time and big-armed sophomore Bart Houston will fight to keep his hopes of tossing the pigskin for Wisconsin alive.

Holes to plug on defense

Under first-year defensive coordinator Dave Aranda, Wisconsin’s defense ranked seventh nationally in total defense allowing 305 yards per game and sixth in scoring defense allowing just 16.3 points per game. But Aranda’s group will have to replace more than 300 total tackles with players like Chris Borland, Dezmen Southward and Beau Allen graduating. Position battles at inside linebacker where twin brothers are looking to start together and openings at safety will make for some interesting developments Saturday.

Blistering Backfield

Wisconsin’s running backs are going through a change of the guard with last season’s starting running back James White graduating and running backs’ coach Thomas Hammock leaving for a position with the Baltimore Ravens. The keys have been handed to Thomas Brown, who joins Wisconsin’s staff from Marshall University. Brown will have Melvin Gordon, who broke out in his sophomore campaign last year, and sophomore Corey Clement, who is poised for a breakout year. It is yet to be seen how the coaching change will affect Wisconsin’s strongest position group.

Dance-Off

If the game isn’t enough for you, then watching grown men in pads and a helmet in a dancing competition with UW students should do the trick. For the second consecutive year, Wisconsin is giving its students the chance to dance for a chance to win season tickets for the coming season. If the moves are anything like last season, it should make for some good fun.

Good cause

All of the proceeds raised by the spring game will be donated to a UW-Madison School of Education fund dedicated to improving student literacy. For $5 you can catch up on the development of the football team and pitch in for a good cause.