Six Wisconsin players receive Big Ten honors

Six Wisconsin men’s basketball players received Big Ten honors as the conference announced its annual postseason awards Monday.

“I’m proud of our guys that were recognized and like I always say, individuals getting accolades is a reflection on the work that the whole team is doing,” head coach Bo Ryan said in a statement. “I think having six players named to the list speaks to the balance of our team and the success we have had collectively.”

Junior center Frank Kaminsky was a consensus first-team All-Big Ten selection after leading the Badgers in points (13.4) and rebounds per game (6.4) in the regular season.

Sophomore forward Sam Dekker was selected to the second-team All-Big Ten by the coaches and third-team All-Big Ten by the media.

Wisconsin guards Josh Gasser, Traevon Jackson and Ben Brust received honorable mention selections by the media while Brust received honorable mention by the coaches as well. Gasser was also named to the All-Big Ten Defensive Team for the second time in his career.

Freshman forward Nigel Hayes was Big Ten’s sixth man of the year after leading all nonstarters in the conference in average rebounds (3.5) and field goal percentage (52.9). Hayes was also an All-Freshman Team selection by the coaches.

Michigan sophomore Nik Stauskas was named the Big Ten Player of the Year while his coach Jim Beilein received the Big Ten Coach of the Year by the media. Second-year Nebraska head coach Tim Miles received the Big Ten Coach of the Year honors as voted on by the coaches.

Wisconsin led all Big Ten teams with eight total awards given to its players.

The Badgers finished the regular season in a tie for second place with Michigan State and will play the winner of Minnesota and Penn State as the No. 2 seed in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament Friday at 5:30 p.m. CT.