Wisconsin’s Smith decides to transfer

Wisconsin women’s basketball head coach Bobbie Kelsey announced earlier today that sophomore guard Lindsay Smith has decided to leave the Badgers and transfer immediately. 

Smith, a Dewitt, Iowa native had seen a diminished role in 2012, averaging less than four minutes per game and scoring just three points on the season. This came after playing in 26 games as a freshman, when she averaged nearly 10 minutes per game in Kelsey’s first season.

Smith has not said where she intends to transfer. Kelsey noted that she believes Smith can play a major role once she finds a specific program to fit her style.

“We are sad to see Lindsay leave our program, however she felt she needed to explore other options to gain more playing time,” Kelsey said. “She was a very hard worker and smart player for us. I have no doubt she will be able to contribute to a program that fits her abilities.”

As a freshman, Smith made two career starts against Iowa and Michigan State, contributing 1.8 points and 1.5 rebounds per game throughout the season.

She was a four-time all-state selection from Central DeWitt High School and a McDonald’s All-American nominee.

Smith is the second UW player to transfer this fall after Makailah Dyer left the team in November.