Stave to miss rest of season

stave
After suffering a broken collarbone against Michigan State, Joel Stave is expected to miss the rest of the season.[/media-credit]

Wisconsin starting quarterback Joel Stave will miss the remainder of the season after breaking his left collarbone against Michigan State Saturday, according to a report from Jake Zimmermann at WKOW. 

Stave, a redshirt freshman, went down less than 10 seconds into the third quarter when 6-foot-7, 278-pound Michigan State defensive end William Gholston sacked the Badgers’ quarterback with a powerful hit that drove him into the ground. Stave briefly regained his footing before falling to his knees, when the UW medical staff came onto the field to attend to him. He remained on the field for several minutes, wincing in pain as the medical staff took him to the locker room for further evaluation. 

Stave later reappeared on the sideline but did not re-enter the game. He had been remarkably effective against the Spartans’ defense up to that point, completing nine of his 11 passing attempts for 127 yards and a touchdown pass to tight end Jacob Pedersen. 

Wisconsin head coach Bret Bielema said he didn’t “know anything further on Joel,” aside from the fact that it was a left shoulder injury, postgame. However, Zimmermann says he spoke with Stave’s family Saturday night. 

The Greenfield, Wis., native saw his first playing time in the second half against Utah State – the Badgers’ third game of the season – and earned his first career start against UTEP the following week. He has been the starter since and in the seven games he has appeared in this year, Stave has proven to be an efficient signal-caller with 1,104 passing yards, five touchdowns and three interceptions on the year. 

Zimmermann is also reporting Stave’s injury will not require surgery and that this is the third time he has broken his collarbone. 

With Stave out, Danny O’Brien will likely take over for the Badgers under center. O’Brien, a redshirt junior who transferred to Wisconsin from Maryland in the offseason, began the year as the starting quarterback before struggling through the first three games of the year, when Bielema benched him in favor of Stave. 

In the second half Saturday, O’Brien looked shaky at times behind a leaky offensive line, completing five of his 11 passing attempts for 44 yards. The Spartans also sacked O’Brien three times in the final 30 minutes. 

The 2010 ACC Freshman of the Year threw for 454 yards, three touchdowns and an interception in his 10 quarters of play as UW’s starting quarterback. 

Check back for updates as more information emerges regarding this situation. 

Follow Ian on Twitter