Fiammetta: One final word

Well, damn.

Another semester has passed by, except this time for so many other seniors and myself, it’s our last one. This is my final column for The Badger Herald, and as nostalgic and teary-eyed as I’d love to make you, I don’t think that’s what these spaces are for.

Sappy, it-can’t-be-true farewell columns are a staple of the student journalist’s last stand on campus. I find nothing wrong with that, believe me.

But after all the words that have been printed in this column space, so many of which spoke of Wisconsin’s top athletic programs “turning the corner,” “taking the next step,” and whatever other phrases came to mind, I’d like to head in that direction one last time.

More talented writers than myself have outlined post-graduation life, all of its wonders and its challenges, everything that you hear a million times over from family and friends in these all too short final weeks.

But what do I know about that? Heck, for all I know, it’s all downhill from here. Told you I wouldn’t get sappy.

What I do know, as I turn the corner and take the next step like Bret Bielema’s back-to-back Rose Bowl teams and Bo Ryan’s perennial tournament contenders both have, is that Wisconsin has rewarded me and challenged me to the fullest extent I believe possible in a four-year span.

Most colleges present familiar scenarios – the dreaded freshman-year roommate disaster, the delightful feeling of finally finding “your people” on campus and the maneuvering through four whirlwind, and quite often grueling, years of academic and social achievement.

But here at UW-Madison, neatly embedded in one of the quirkiest cities you might ever see, nothing comes without your greatest effort. From navigating through the labyrinth that is the Humanities building – a four-year project for me – to balancing the workload provided by a premier research institution with the rigors of a Gameday Saturday, this university will beat you down, stack a crapload of work upon your shoulders and then reward you to the fullest.

Boy, those rewards. I’ll speak from a sports perspective because it’s what I know best. Beating Ohio State as many times as we did, in all sports. Seeing Montee Ball emerge from a third option at running back into a Heisman Trophy finalist. Nebraska’s first Big Ten game, with ESPN’s College GameDay in town, turning into an utter beating. Women’s hockey exerting its dominance in the sport with two national championships and a game shy of another.

And yes, those Rose Bowls. Forget, if you can, the nine combined points by which we lost. The manner in which both of those teams overcame crippling defeats – the horrendous showing in the 2010 Big Ten opener at Michigan State and those two Hail Mary Nightmares from 2011 – to finish two of the greatest seasons in school history was thoroughly inspiring.

When I look back at the four years of Badger history I was able to witness firsthand, I believe there are two things I’ll treasure most. First will be those two football seasons, not for the final games, but for the start-to-finish transformation both teams underwent. Second will be the fact that we not only saw probably the greatest four-year stretch in UW history, but also that across the board, Wisconsin athletics look primed to surpass that brilliance in the next four years and beyond. Forget about football, basketball and men’s hockey – just look at the recent success of track and field, cross country, women’s hockey, softball and several other programs. You’ll be hard pressed to find equivalent strength elsewhere.

Within the bigger picture, whether you’re a sports fan or not, I hope this message is one that resonates. I’m reminded of a semester-closing speech I’ve had the pleasure of hearing twice from Professor James Baughman, one of the journalism school’s best. Though it’s inevitably geared toward journalism majors, the message is universal. Essentially, it goes, “When you see those kids from Syracuse or Missouri, with their so-called superior educations, trip ’em. I’ve heard from employers throughout the country that they want Wisconsin kids because they work harder, and that’s proven time and again.”

For the sake of my own future, I sure hope Baughman’s right. Given my experiences here in Madison, though, I have absolutely no problem believing him. On Wisconsin.

***

Though I promised not to get too sentimental here, I need to end my final column by thanking every Heralder I’ve ever met. The list of names is too long to do each one justice, but the passion, intelligence and ability to do their job better than anyone else has been one of my biggest sources of inspiration. I began writing for the Herald in the second semester of my freshman year, and one of my few regrets in my time here is not starting earlier.

I would, however, like to single out two people individually. Ian McCue and Nick Korger will be taking over as sports editor and sports content editor, respectively, next semester, and I’m absolutely thrilled about it. Ian and Nick are two people I’ve gotten to know very well over the past several years, inside and outside of the Herald. Whether you’re a devoted Herald reader or not, I sincerely hope you’ll check out the sports section frequently next semester, because I know Ian, Nick and the talented staff they’re putting together will bring it every single day. The Herald, throughout the entire paper, is in tremendous hands moving forward.

Mike is a senior majoring in journalism. After graduation, he’ll be heading to Washington, D.C. If you’d like to keep in touch or share any thoughts on the last four years, you can reach him on Twitter @mikefiammetta.