Women’s hockey hosts Ohio State in final regular season showdown

With a 6-2 victory over St. Cloud last weekend, the Wisconsin women’s hockey team became WCHA champions for the third time in the past six years – winning at least a share of the title.

The Badgers need just one point against Ohio State this weekend to win the conference outright.

“We need at least a point this weekend,” head coach Mark Johnson said. “It’s senior weekend, so I’m sure a lot of parents will be in town, especially for our senior class. Everybody’s pretty focused on what we have to do Friday, so we’re not getting ahead of ourselves.”

The regular season comes to an end after this weekend’s series with Ohio State, so the Badgers have emphasized playing their best hockey heading into the playoffs.

Experienced players such as senior forward Carolyne Prevost understand the importance of finishing strong.

“We’re starting to get down to the wire here, so Ohio State is a really good team,” Prevost said. “They have good forwards, so I think it’s really important to get a last good series before we get into the playoffs.”

With the end of the regular season nearing, the Badgers want everyone healthy heading into the postseason. They welcomed defenseman Stefanie McKeough back on the ice Saturday after she sat out with an upper body injury for over a month.

“It was a lot of fun,” McKeough said. “I was put in not on a regular shift I’m used to having, but it was just getting myself back in the pace of the game and game conditioning. Game conditioning is a lot harder than practice.”

McKeough returns in timely fashion as the Badgers face one of the nation’s best in Ohio State forward Natalie Spooner. Spooner leads the Buckeyes with 29 goals so far this season.

“Obviously she’s a really, really talented forward,” McKeough said. “I think she just beat the Ohio State scoring record this past weekend, so anytime she’s on the ice she’s going to be a threat. Coach always says be aware who’s on the ice with you. I mean, when you wind up for a face-off just take a peek; be aware who’s on the ice with you. You always should be on your toes, but when their [top line] is out there you have to be extra, extra cautious.”

Going into the final series, the Badgers hold on to a top national ranking and a 28-2-2 record, but they know their season will be defined in the coming weeks during the postseason.

But they know they can’t get too far ahead of themselves.

“We have to take it one step at a time,” McKeough said. “Ohio State is a really good team, and they’re going to be a good test for us. We’ve had a few weekends of lower WCHA teams. I mean obviously any team in the WCHA is going to be a hard test, but Ohio State is a really good team, and none of us are getting ahead of ourselves. We know that we’re going to have a tough game.”

Johnson described the season as three phases. The first phase includes the majority of the season, consisting of all 34 regular season games. He talked about the second phase as the two-week WCHA tournament and the last phase as the NCAA national tournament.

Johnson’s “three phase” season centers on the concept of not looking back after a phase is complete. It’s all about moving ahead and learning from mistakes, regardless of how the team has played.

“[The players] know what’s at stake, and you grind it out,” Johnson said. “It’s a long season. You start in early September, and now there’s a lot of light at the end of the tunnel. You certainly want to make sure you’re doing the things necessary to come out Friday and play well, and that’s what we’re trying to do right now. The team’s pretty focused, and you know there’s energy usually at this time of the year when you’re in this position.”