PCP: Which QB would you rather have?

Max

It always comes down to the quarterbacks.

Super Bowl XLV is no different, and two of the National Football League’s best will be on display in Dallas.

Ben Roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers will go head-to-head for the ultimate prize, and the question has to be asked: which one would you rather have under center in a game of this magnitude?

The Answer? Roethlisberger.

His track record speaks for itself. The man has already won two Super Bowls, and he’s got an extraordinary 9-2 record in the playoffs. He’s seen all there is to see, and he’s done nothing but win throughout his seven-year career.

His combination of size and agility is a rarity at the quarterback position, and he’s practically impossible to bring down with one man, making him particularly effective against the blitz. When Roethlisberger breaks a tackle in the pocket, he doesn’t look to tuck it and run. No, Roethlisberger keeps his eyes downfield and does most of his damage on broken plays. He possesses one of the strongest arms in all of football, and he isn’t afraid to use it.

But Roethlisberger isn’t just an all or nothing quarterback. He takes advantage of his check-down targets and tight ends and knows when to take his shots downfield. Plus, third-and-short is no problem when you’ve got a 241-pound quarterback.

People take shots at Roethlisberger’s character, and it’s understandable after his publicized off-field issues. But Roethlisberger has been on his best behavior since serving a four-game suspension for personal conduct issues, and he’s been able to tune out all of his critics on this remarkable road to the Super Bowl.

The media attention will reach a whole new level during the lead-up to the big game, but Roethlisberger has proven he can handle the questions and criticisms he’s sure to face. He’s also shown to handle the pressure of performing at the highest level.

Roethlisberger’s greatest asset is his ability to make plays with the game on the line, and he’s done so on the biggest stage. He has that immeasurable knack for delivering when the pressure is on. Just last week against the Jets, Roethlisberger was flushed out of the pocket on a critical third down, but he kept the play alive and fired a strike to Antonio Brown to effectively seal the win in the AFC championship.

One of the greatest plays in Super Bowl history occurred two seasons ago when Roethlisberger found wide receiver Santonio Holmes in the corner of the endzone to lift the Steelers to victory in the closing seconds of Super Bowl XLIII. He somehow found a way to make that unbelievable throw to earn his second ring.

But Roethlisberger will be the first to tell you how difficult playing for that first ring can be.

He was terrible in his first Super Bowl, completing just nine of 21 passes for 123 yards to go along with two interceptions against the Seahawks. The stout Pittsburgh defense and a bit of trickery helped the Steelers emerge victorious regardless.

All those big game experiences – both good and bad – make Roethlisberger a seasoned Super Bowl veteran.

For the Steelers and Roethlisberger, the Super Bowl isn’t a dream destination. It’s an expectation.

So in the world’s biggest game, I’m going with Big Ben.

Adam

No offense Max, but even if Big Ben is a proven winner, I’ll still take the guy in the green and gold. And this is coming from a Vikings fan.

Here are a couple fun statistics: Aaron Rodgers, in his short career, owns the highest career passer rating at 98.4 – higher than guys like Steve Young and Tom Brady. He’s also just thrown two interceptions in the red zone this season – the first two of his career.

And while both quarterbacks are considered “mobile,” they do it in slightly different ways. Roethlisberger is great at extending the play and is notoriously difficult to bring to the ground – ESPN loves showing his completion percentages after contact. But Rodgers will not only keep the play alive, but pick up the yardage as well. Roethlisberger’s career high in rushing is 204 yards, set back in 2007. Rodgers’ lowest season total is 207, and he ran for 356 yards in 2010. In 99 career games, Roethlisberger has 14 touchdowns on the ground; in 54, Rodgers has 13.

Granted, a quarterback who just takes off and runs isn’t what you want in the NFL. But neither of these guys fit that bill; they’re just good at it when they need to be. And in those broken plays on third down, I’ll take Rodgers’ ability to get that first down on his own.

Blame some of that on the lack of a Green Bay running game this season. With no Ryan Grant and the wide spectrum of performances by Brandon Jackson, James Starks and John Kuhn, “running game” is a bit of an embellishment when talking about the Packers right now. Credit some of Roethlisberger’s success in the past to the backs he’s had behind him: Jerome Bettis, Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall. Rodgers is the engine that makes the Green Bay offense go, which is impressive considering the level at which the offense played all season.

And while I understand Roethlisberger has two Super Bowl wins and has proven he can lead teams to victory, he’s also gotten more chances to do so. Sure, the Pack lost to Arizona last year in the playoffs, but Rodgers threw for 422 yards and four touchdowns – and can you blame him all that much for that fumble at the end?

Let’s take a look at how No. 12 has performed in the playoffs this time around. Against the Eagles, 180 yards and three touchdowns. Against the top-seeded Falcons, 366 yards and three touchdowns plus a rushing touchdown. Not a great game against the Bears, with 244 yards and two picks, but he also ran one in for a score.

Four career playoff games and Rodgers averages 303 passing yards, 2.5 passing touchdowns and just under one rushing touchdown per game, as well as under one interception per game. That’s not too bad, especially considering all four games came on the road. The guy doesn’t even know what a home playoff game feels like.

The NFL is a quarterback’s league right now. You have to be able to throw it well, and you need a signal caller who can do that – and do it intelligently. Rodgers is proving he isn’t fazed by anything he sees and can have an impact on the game with his feet as well if he needs to. A Super Bowl win here would be the beginning of the legacy of a phenomenal postseason quarterback.